GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"...needs more tire..."
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup fellas, I'm trying to do something different with these current rear bumper steps on the 14+ body styles. I have a few directions to go with and one of them entails some custom body/paint work, that's where you come in.

The goal is to still run a chrome rear bumper to match up with my front end and stick with my projected theme. At the moment my only options I can see is to:

1) Replace current stepped bumper with a factory 14+ "non-step" bumper and have it chromed since GM does not have factory chrome non-stepped bumpers.

2) Run a NNBS chrome rear bumper and just CM the plastics.

3) Custom shave off the corner steps on the current bumper and CM the ends. This is the reason why I could use your skills. I would like to go this direction, but a little curious to generate a path forward.

I'm thinking Number 3 is the direction I'm to take first. This being said; my body shop literally told me that if this is going to get done... the small chrome trim pieces directly above the steps will have to be shaved as well. I guess it has to deal with trying to have enough surface to work with and the chrome strip sits too close to the area that will be shaved off. So idk..

With that being said, when playing with any of the posted pictures... could you please include the small chrome trim directly above the corner step? Basically, the complete corner will have to be CM at the end of the day.

I got a feeling it's going to look like shit lol. (not the chop but the actual idea of it being done lol) If it does, I'm going with #1 idea when I hot the states soon.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. lmk if these pics won't work. I'll try and post more if that's the case. :cheers:

·
GMC Owner
2,634 Posts
I know showoff made some filler plates and filled in the step then painted the bumper.

An idea would be to see how a dodge rear bumper fits or a nnbs bumper. I've seen an nnbs lowered with a 4th gen ram chrome bumper that looked pretty damn good on there. In my opinion the nnbs and 14+ rear bumpers have WAY too much plastic and look shitty compared to a dodge or ford rear bumper, and really shitty compared to an nbs rear bumper

·
GMC Owner
2,634 Posts
image-5.jpg

Here's a Dodge bumper for reference. I really think they look better than the plasticy GM bumpers

·
GMC Owner
2,634 Posts
The all plastic one last doesn't look good. I like the first all chrome one. Maybe even get rid of the little piece of plastic towards the front and make the bumper all chrome like the dodge and ford bumpers are?

·
"...needs more tire..."
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
image-5.jpg

Here's a Dodge bumper for reference. I really think they look better than the plasticy GM bumpers
WTF. damn... how the HELL did this dude get his gate handle shaved off?! I mean, I know it would be an easy job to remove & fill it but I'm really wondering if it's still functional from the inside. wtf. Anymore info on this owner bro? That looks clean as hell. At least the bumper itself. Going to stick w/CM plastics and chrome though but the shap of it really flows pretty well imho. Nice share. ty

here are a couple i made up, not the greatest but maybe they will give ya an idea.

allchrome.jpg

allCM.jpg

cmpocket.jpg

cmcapnostrip.jpg
wow. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this for me. I really do appreciate that. You saved me a lot of headache. :shake:

At the end of the day, the very last pic is probably what it's going to look like... Sad but the amount of surface to make it happen is whats pictured. I'm better off just getting a oem smoothed one dipped or rocking a chrome other different company version.

The all plastic one last doesn't look good. I like the first all chrome one. Maybe even get rid of the little piece of plastic towards the front and make the bumper all chrome like the dodge and ford bumpers are?
The all plastic one doesn't look good. Your right. The shaved one with the little chrome trim still hanging above there looks decent but not 100% of what's to expect. I guess the rear parking sensor holes can get fitted as well if I go with another bumper...

idk, maybe I'm just thinking to much into it lol. Would love more info/pics of that posted white Sierra though.

*EDIT: Wait, I just noticed the tails. It's not a 14+ so I assume it's just using a std relocator kit.

·
GMC Owner
2,634 Posts
The all plastic one doesn't look good. Your right. The shaved one with the little chrome trim still hanging above there looks decent but not 100% of what's to expect. I guess the rear parking sensor holes can get fitted as well if I go with another bumper...

idk, maybe I'm just thinking to much into it lol. Would love more info/pics of that posted white Sierra though.

*EDIT: Wait, I just noticed the tails. It's not a 14+ so I assume it's just using a std relocator kit.
Ya thats a '13 I believe, but have you taken your tailgate apart to see why you couldn't shave the handle? I'd assume it operates just like any other tailgate handle. You have to relocate the camera but thats not hard and neither would be relocating the back up sensors since they just sit in holes

·
USAF
168 Posts
I have a 2014 as well and want to swap out my rear bumper.... I know a lot or peeps are putting 2014 bumpers on 07-13 trucks, so does this mean the opposite will work? I know one of the differences is the gap between the hitch and bumper, but i can always remove my hitch if need be. Has anyone done this?

·
15 RCSB Z71
2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain 6.2L
3,414 Posts
Bit of a thread dig but currently on the hunt for one of these bumpers as well. In regards to the reversing things, this is the only nnbs on k2xx I've seen so far (local truck)

42715449-921C-40BC-B2D0-6794D45C0539_zpsq7f8mwm3.jpg

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Doesnt look bad but a guy near me hs one and it looks like doo doo. I'm looking for a non step a/t that they only did in 14.

·
15 RCSB Z71
2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain 6.2L
3,414 Posts
Doesnt look bad but a guy near me hs one and it looks like doo doo. I'm looking for a non step a/t that they only did in 14.
I'm not sold on the nnbs bumper either. If it was colormatched I think it would help a lot but there's still too much plastic on there for me.
Leaning towards a dodge bumper at this point since I want to stay with chrome, just looking for more info on what's involved to bolt one up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not sold on the nnbs bumper either. If it was colormatched I think it would help a lot but there's still too much plastic on there for me.
Leaning towards a dodge bumper at this point since I want to stay with chrome, just looking for more info on what's involved to bolt one up.
Let me know what you find out on this, been curious of what all goes into the swap as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts