GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my stock muffler and resonator cut out today and replaced with a flowmaster 40. Pretty disappointed, still way to quiet! If I dumped the exhaust out of the muffler would it make it any louder? anyone cut off any of the 3 cats? I don't want it obnoxiously loud but would like to be able to hear it!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Cutting any of the cats would be a royal pain without lowering the whole y-pipe. For the effort you'd go through, you'd be better off getting longtubes with a catted y-pipe

·
Rest in Pieces
2,362 Posts
If you just replaced the muffler you still have the 2 primary cats on each bank, 1 cat after the Y, the silencer valve (located right before the exhaust hangers before the axles), and then a resonator after the axle. Remove the extra cat and resonator to achieve the sound you want. Leave the silencer imo to reduce V4 helicopter sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed my muffler and resonater on my 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L. Left the flapper valve and added a turndown pipe where the resonater was so I wouldn't melt my spare.
NOW... I have the raspy, clunker sound on acceleration. How can I fix this? Is there a leak in the muffler pipe replacement weld or what??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts