GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 2014 Sierra and only thing I've done is add a 2.5" TCG front level. Had it aligned and all seemed fine for a while. I've noticed now that when I'm turning, I get a clicking sound in the steering column. I can't hear anything from outside the truck, but whatever this is can't be normal. I've posted a video to show what I'm talking about. Truck as 6,800 miles on it. Looking for recommendation as to what it might be, and whether or not I should take the level off before taking it in to the dealership. Really don't want to go that route, but don't want to void warranty on any front end parts.

Listen for the faint clicking or popping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Vm80cGtDQ

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it in several times before they were willing to play ball. Turns out I had a binding steering gear and bad ball joints. All was replaced under warranty.

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They mentioned it, but never really hassled me about it. Took a few trips for them to "duplicate the problem." By the 3rd time I took it in, I knew exactly what the problem was so I told them and they just knocked it out and I was good to go.

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A level caused ball joint failure at less then 50k miles??
Negative. This issue started before I leveled my truck and continued afterwords. Issue was fixed probably around 10-12k. Supposedly bad ball joints from the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They mentioned it, but never really hassled me about it. Took a few trips for them to "duplicate the problem." By the 3rd time I took it in, I knew exactly what the problem was so I told them and they just knocked it out and I was good to go.
Has the noise come back yet? I have same issue and was going to mention your fix to dealership and see that fixes mine. I have 2.25 front level. Noise started 2 weeks ago and leveling kit has been on for a year now. They have already changed steering column bearing.

·
GMFS Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has the noise come back yet? I have same issue and was going to mention your fix to dealership and see that fixes mine. I have 2.25 front level. Noise started 2 weeks ago and leveling kit has been on for a year now. They have already changed steering column bearing.
Mine has not come back. Been fixed for quite a while now and still no clicking

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I work at a Chevy Dealership, steering Racks and Balljoints/Control arms seem to be a common problem on the new '14+'s. Especially when Leveled. We Warranty anything under a 4" lift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts