GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at both these trucks. I don't really need a 3/4 ton but might be nice to have incase I need it. The new Duramax 1500 is great especially the fuel mileage. Just torn between both. 2500 has 97k and 1500 would be brand new. I personally have never had a brand new truck for my personal vehicle. The 2500 I could get this weekend and 1500 I'd have to wait till it comes in. Could possibly be the last truck I buy. Both are about the same price. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
I have t-rex arms
353 Posts
New with a warranty is always best IMO

However, it depends upon what you want to do. For a truck that will mostly be a commuter with occasional towing, the 1500 is a clear winner. Better ride, better MPG. If you tow a lot of tow heavy when you do tow, get the 3/4 ton.

Keep in mind that diesel maintenance in general is more expensive (fuel filters, more oil capacity), but you tend to get more money in resale. Also keep in mind that higher mileage diesel trucks may encounter costly emissions system repairs. The older 3/4 ton could end up costing you $5k in the first few years of ownership if you have such an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New with a warranty is always best IMO

However, it depends upon what you want to do. For a truck that will mostly be a commuter with occasional towing, the 1500 is a clear winner. Better ride, better MPG. If you tow a lot of tow heavy when you do tow, get the 3/4 ton.

Keep in mind that diesel maintenance in general is more expensive (fuel filters, more oil capacity), but you tend to get more money in resale. Also keep in mind that higher mileage diesel trucks may encounter costly emissions system repairs. The older 3/4 ton could end up costing you $5k in the first few years of ownership if you have such an issue.

Yes warranty would be nice. I see you have the 6.2l.....what kinda mileage are you getting when not towing?

·
I have t-rex arms
353 Posts
I actually sold that a while ago. Just never updated my stuff. Sold it for a 2019 2500 diesel and now I have a 2021 2500 diesel.

I loved the 6.2. That thing ripped. MPG was very good IMO. I would get around 19 highway at 75. If I was running 55mph back roads all day, the truck would get about 24mpg. Towing was 13-14 mpg. It would tow about any damn thing I hooked to it.

If I get another half ton, I am all in on a 6.2. My current job has me towing and hauling heavy stuff a lot, so the diesel 3/4 ton makes a lot of sense for me. Towing with a Duramax is like building a sand castle with a bulldozer. Can’t beat the resale. I put 52k miles in two years on the 2019. Bought it for 56k and sold it for 62k. Added up all of the maintenance and registrations and it cost $11 to drive it for 2 years. Ha ha. Obviously the used market is a little nuts right now, but even if I had sold it for 56k, that still would have been a huge win.

·
Super Moderator
6,334 Posts
If you're not towing a lot or towing anything that heavy the 3/4 ton is a waste of money imo. The lml can be deleted for under 2k easy tho if that's a factor. The 3.0s are nice my brother in law has one and gets insane milage out of it and tows a 28 foot camper with it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You may want to check into when you’d get the 21. They’ve stopped production on the 3.0 dmax until next year.

I’ve had a 2015 duramax and loved it, had a 21 Denali 2500 and absolutely hated it, I sold it with 2000 miles on it. I’ve got a 21 1500 duramax coming in any day. Figure I’ll give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,299 Posts
Get the 22 baby Dmax. Way better towing numbers now due to some chassis and cooling improvements. 4k more than before at 13,300 (properly equipped)

That'll probably suit you well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts