GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site. I hope this is the right place to post this question.
I’m having a real problem with rodents chewing my wires. Here’s the most recent. Can someone ID the component where the wires are attached? It doesn’t look like the wire are completely chewed through. I’ll either splice or tape the damage.

And what about this thing that looks like a temperature probe?

This is the third time. I bought two rid-a-rat units, one that connected to the battery and a second one that operates on AAs. The rodent chewed through the sire on the first one. So much for a deterrent.

Thanks in advance.
John

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Perhaps try something like spreading cayanne pepper in the engine compartment (or there is tape with it on you can get, and put in various points). That supposedly will help keep the critters away.

·
Registered
453 Posts
There is a bitter spray for dogs that we used with my dog. Not sure if it will work with rodents but it damn sure works with humans. That stuff sticks everywhere and it is nasty

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
They also hate the smell of Irish Spring. Slice up a few bars and stick them under the hood when it’s sitting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the rat advice. I’d like to know what the two components are: the black one on the firewall with about 6 wires coming out and the other one that looks like a temperature probe. Thank you. John

·
Some dude on the internet
1,140 Posts
The temp probe you reference is your exhaust gas temp sensor (number 2 I believe), but not sure about the one on the firewall. Is there a part number or anything you can see on it?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Get a cat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had similar problems with mice building a nest on top of the cabin air filter of my Buick. I found I hope a permanent solution using a bar of Irish Spring soap. Shave the soap and place the shavings around the wheels. The mice HATE the smell (and so do I). So far this is working for me. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts