GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering trading my 2012 truck for a new one. Stopped by dealer and asked for a 2wd LTZ loaded up...they had 1. Looked great, we drove it. And it was looking like a deal coming together when I noticed the seats had a weird little bump in the center right between your legs. The salesman and I studied it a bit and then drove around the lot looking at other leather cooled seats...all of them had this.

when you press down on the bump to smooth out the seat it pops, like a crackling sound of thick paper. leather non cooled didnt have this, cloth didnt have this...only the cooled seats.

I pointed it out to the manager and his service trim guys looked at it, saying its a wiring harness that wasnt smoothed out well during the leather installation and it could be fixed....

anyone else see this or have this on their truck...? I put off the deal till I can get an good answer from GM service. Even the high country had this....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Considering trading my 2012 truck for a new one. Stopped by dealer and asked for a 2wd LTZ loaded up...they had 1. Looked great, we drove it. And it was looking like a deal coming together when I noticed the seats had a weird little bump in the center right between your legs. The salesman and I studied it a bit and then drove around the lot looking at other leather cooled seats...all of them had this.

anyone else see this or have this on their truck...? I put off the deal till I can get an good answer from GM service. Even the high country had this....
That's strange, my father owns a Chevy dealership and I had never noticed. I'm out of the state for school right now but I'll text one of the salesmen and have them take a look and see what they find..

I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Laser..... Sales guys may not notice as my sales guy has sold several and never noticed. Gotta be a picky buyer who's about to spend more money on a truck ever...:emotions34:

Let me know what you find out. I'm heading to a different dealer Saturday to compare...

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,695 Posts
Would not be surprised if it's ducting for the cooling feature. The air has to come from somewhere. Between the legs is going to have the least amount of risk of pressure being put on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just left the GMC dealer and ALL of his cooled seats had this situation...some worse than others. The Denalli a little less noticeable due to the stitching being a little different, but still there.

Sales guy there never noticed either...but now cant quit looking as it's really noticable.

Going to one more dealer this afternoon....most likely GM will claim it's within variance tolerances, which for the dough isnt really accepatable to me. I looked at Ford, Infiniti, and Honda today and none of them have this issue.

Service thinks it's correctable...by pulling back the leather from the seat and working the flaw out...not sure but these guys often can do some really good stuff.

Not everyone is picky like me and that's fine....but when you spend that much AND can see the flaw from 10 feet away with an open door, you just gotta wonder what the heck they're doing....best looking trucks on the planet, but come on, focus on quailty..!!!

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,695 Posts
If it is making a cracking noise when you push on it that means there is something under it. I bet ducting. How do you think the seat cool? Air

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depending on the vented seat setup - it shouldn't have that hump.

My 14 SS has heated and cooled seats - and there is no noticeable bump in it.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
If it makes noise when you press on it - don't press on it :shrug:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like everything about my truck except the cooled seats. They have two vents on the seatback left vent sucks air in and right rent expels the hot air from the small a/c unit that cools the seat. Kinda dumb . Person sitting in back seat has to put up with it. Our 2013 maxima has cooled seats that just circulates the cabin air through the seats. The new trucks have an actual unit built into seat. Why would you need separate unit to produce cold air?
Seems if you use a cooled seat, you'd probably have the cars a/c on, therefore the cabin air would be cool enough to be used to circulate through the seats. Just more stuff to break or vents get clogged

GOT BOOST ?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My dad's '15 Denali HD is the same way but it's hardly noticeable in his.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Okay, did some checking and got some answers.
I texted a few of the salesmen and had them take a look at a few of the trucks we had equipped with the cooled leather - none of them said they had never noticed it before, but after looking pretty closely there was a bump as opposed to the leather seats with just heat.

One guy showed our service manager and he too was surprised because he hadn't noticed before either, but said if he had to guess it would be the ducting as GrayStone suggested. He also suggested not to press on it.

To get the final verdict I asked both my dad and grandpa (who own the store together) if they had ever noticed because they drive 3500 LTZs w/ the heated/cooled seats. Both never noticed until I had pointed it out.

Bottom line - I wouldn't let it deter you from buying the truck if you like everything else about it, or just go with a one without the cooled seats...I always thought it felt funny anyway :crazy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks laser....good research.

In summary I'm gonna pass on the cooled seats, as I liked the look of the heated only just fine.

I will say - we have quite a few Chevy and GM dealers here in Jax Fl, and ALL the trucks had this with some not so bad and some so bad you could see it while standing 10 feet outside the truck with the door open. A couple dealers stated they're gonna research and get answers, as they think a potential buyer of a 40-50k truck will notice and will want it addressed.

You may see a TSB by summer...who knows.

Hope this topic was beneficial for folks....and remember I'm just picky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts