GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting.... I like the W/T series of Silverado because I end up changing a bunch of stuff anyway, so why pay for stuff I'm going to change!

I was building/pricing out a W/T today on the Chevy site & I see that the 2015 W/T's are now available with a Black Out Edition. In theory this package shouldn't cost much, because the W/T's already come with matte black bumpers and grille! So they are only adding the optional tinted back glass, black 20" wheels and black bowties from the Rally trucks. (At first I was wondering if they were finding a use for the left over steel "travel wheels" from the Rally trucks, but they are 22")

Kind of cool to see GM do a GMFS truck on the cheap!!
Although....if they price it like the rally trucks...it may not be so cheap!

I'm curious which 20" wheel they are using....the right wheel on a RCSB could look sweet!
Option it with the 5.3, level it out and add 33x12.50-20's and it should be an AWESOME DD!
Has anybody seen these on the lot yet?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually... The deep tint rear glass is a no cost option and the black bowties are a $120 option....so it is just the cost of the wheels that isn't known. Looking at the other trucks, 20" wheel option is usually around a grand.

Kind of like the "Black Ram 1500 Express Group" from Dodge....but on a budget...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did get this press release about the Midnight Edition.
Kinda cool, it even comes with comes with Duratracs. I think that's the most aggressive tire to come on a Silverado in a long time!
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...us/en/2015/Jan/0122-GM-silverado-mdnt-ed.html

Still no word or pics of the W/T Black Out Edition... I was referred to my local dealer...but if you can't find it on the web...I highly doubt the dealers around me will know about it!!!

It will probably be over priced for what you get...but I still think its cool that the base model & regular cab trucks are getting some love!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
boogity boogity
991 Posts
Atleast they are trying... No only if I can get a 6.2 in a LT.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you!! I'm still pissed that you can't get the MAX TOW package or the 6.2 in any regular cab configuration when both Ford and Dodge offer their big motors and good gears in just about every configuration.....

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
Pissed because gm has not offered the large motor in a regular cab since the early 90s? Why would they start doing that now?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pissed because gm has not offered the large motor in a regular cab since the early 90s? Why would they start doing that now?
My opinion - GM really chases the volume sales numbers - and can't be bothered with what the smaller market demands seeks - till the mass popularity calls it out into production - sadly GM is mostly keep it simple regarding assembly line operations - leads to more consistent quality

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point! So I guess I'm curious why you can only get the Max Trailering package on the high option trucks?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
Because it is only offered with the 6.2. I am sure they deem the 5.3 and 4.3 not up to the job of towing 12,000 lbs. And needing the larger rear axle

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not true. You can get it with 5.3 on LT & LTZ trucks in CCSB & ECSB. Basically all the optional trailering with the big axle & 3.73 gears.

Chevrolet.com said:
This package includes:
Increased towing and GCWR rating
◾Automatic locking rear differential
◾Handling/Trailering Suspension Package
◾Enhanced cooling radiator
◾Revised shock tuning
◾Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
◾9.76" rear axle
◾Integrated trailer brake controller
◾Trailering Equipment
◾6-speed automatic transmission

On LT, this package includes a heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential and the Trailering Package. It requires the 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. On LTZ, this package requires the 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine.

·
boogity boogity
991 Posts
For the 2014's (5.3's) they had a max trailering package with 3.73's and the 9.76 axle. I don't believe it carried over to the 2015's. Also the 6.2's w/ the 8 speed only get 3.42's with the max trailer package .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So this is not a Black Out edition...but its pretty similar to what a one will look like, leveled on a MT.

Obviously the wheels won't be as wide, or have flares and the bowties will be black...but its a decent representation. Not too bad looking for a W/T!

The blackout edition option is listed as $1500 on the Chevy builder site. I'm curious what wheels they will use. I also see its no longer available on the RCLB or CCSB if you try to build those configurations...

http://www.ganleychevrolet.com/Vehi...eel_Drive_Work_Truck-Brook_Park-OH/2413963113

·
ROB
3,022 Posts
There is no reason for not being able to get a 6.2 in a rcsb. Seriously it just bolts in, if someone is willing to pay for it GM should put the 6.2 in a rcsb. I completely understand them not building the trucks to sit on a lot but if someone is willing to order it then GM should build it for them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So this is not a Black Out edition...but its pretty similar to what a one will look like, leveled on a MT.

Obviously the wheels won't be as wide, or have flares and the bowties will be black...but its a decent representation. Not too bad looking for a W/T!

The blackout edition option is listed as $1500 on the Chevy builder site. I'm curious what wheels they will use. I also see its no longer available on the RCLB or CCSB if you try to build those configurations...

http://www.ganleychevrolet.com/Vehi...eel_Drive_Work_Truck-Brook_Park-OH/2413963113
This truck makes me want a NNBS work truck lol. I also work in Brook Park OH btw.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Press release.....
Kinda cool that GM noticed how guys were modding their trucks and made it a package.

Chevrolet said:

CHICAGO — The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado Black Out Edition, a new trim package that gives the workhorse truck a menacing look for not a lot of money, is available now at Chevrolet dealerships.

The special trim package costs $1,595 and is limited to Silverado 1500 WT pickups that are painted black. It is available on Silverado 1500 WT two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive regular-cab models, along with two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive double-cab models.

The Black Out package adds deep-tinted windows, black-painted Chevrolet bowties, 20-inch black-painted aluminum wheels and P275/55R20 all-season blackwall tires. Rubberized vinyl flooring is used instead of carpeting.

Silverado Marketing Manager Hugh Milne told Edmunds at the 2015 Chicago Auto Show that the Black Out idea was triggered after seeing several base work trucks on the road that had been lightly personalized. Among the styling elements on those pickups were the blacked-out bowtie on the grille and black-painted wheels.

"Now, we're doing it at the factory," Milne said. "I think it will be one of these little, subtle hints out there that does way better than we expect."

The Black Out Edition joins a growing list of Silverado special models, including the Silverado Midnight Edition, Custom Sport and Rally Editions.

"Dealers and customers can get something different with these special models," said Chevrolet spokesman Tom Wilkinson. "It's a similar strategy to what GM has done with performance cars like the Chevrolet Camaro. We're trying to apply some of that thinking to trucks."

He added: "We think the Silverado WT with the Black Out package is ideally suited to customers who want an inexpensive truck that doesn't look cheap. It is a great truck for first-time buyers or for someone who wants to add a truck to their fleet without breaking the budget."

It also helps to set the Silverado apart from such competitors as the Dodge Ram, Ford F-150, GMC Sierra and Toyota Tundra.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
Are you looking to buy one of these? You are just blown away by this package for some reason lol. It's cool that you can order it, but why spend an extra $1600 bucks on little stuff that you can do yourself for less than $500.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts