GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2017 chevy Z71 2500hd. I'm just looking for some input on whether or not it is recommended to run fuel conditioner in the colder climates. I am from Alberta canada so the winters get cold up north. Anyway at the company I work for they say we cannot run diesel fuel conditioner in their diesel trucks. Is there a reason for this or is it bs. just looking for some info. Also does anyone have any info on the problem areas of these pickups or things to swap out.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,644 Posts
do what your company tells you, then when they're wrong, you get a day off becuase the work truck wont work and has to be towed to the closest dealer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do what they say and I don't run conditioner in their trucks, but I recently purchased my own and so I just wanted to clarify whether it's recommended to run conditioner or not to run it

·
jewish misanthropist
477 Posts
Why not ask the company why you cannot run fuel conditioner rather than asking strangers on the internet? And how could your company even tell if you're running fuel additives?

Not sure how much experience you have with diesels, but here in Alberta diesel is (or usually is) properly winterized from the pump with additives that should prevent fuel from clouding unless it hits -45 C or something. Only reason id bother with additives if just for additional lubricity and cleanliness of the fuel system. Never had an issue with fuel filter gelling running basic pump diesel

My only guess why your company doesnt want additives ran is they don't want to pay for it in their company trucks. In your personal truck, I don't see why they'd care unless

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not ask the company why you cannot run fuel conditioner rather than asking strangers on the internet? And how could your company even tell if you're running fuel additives?

Not sure how much experience you have with diesels, but here in Alberta diesel is (or usually is) properly winterized from the pump with additives that should prevent fuel from clouding unless it hits -45 C or something. Only reason id bother with additives if just for additional lubricity and cleanliness of the fuel system. Never had an issue with fuel filter gelling running basic pump diesel

My only guess why your company doesnt want additives ran is they don't want to pay for it in their company trucks. In your personal truck, I don't see why they'd care unless

The company just says that the manufacturer doesn't recommend the additives. Me personally I've always ran additives in my older diesels. I know most fuel comes with winter additives to prevent gelling. I'm just wondering what everyone's experience is pros and cons of using fuel conditioner additives on the new diesels.

·
jewish misanthropist
477 Posts
If it's your own truck, run additives however you want. Lots running OptiLube, Diesel Kleen, Howes, all kids with no problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure whatever you use, it is 100% compatible with your newer diesel emissions and DPF. Make sure the additive offers a warranty, because a new DPF is about $2500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts