GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Seems like all the new headlights are sitting in my shop right now getting nodded. Figured I'd start a thread to share what is getting done to them.

2019 Sierra 1500 (all LED)
This customers lights are getting colormatched 8624 white. Sent the orange lenses off to Klearz to get the first set of clear ones made. Those will get installed in here as well. Adding some red led demon eye effect to these as well. On these new Sierras there really isn't much to do to them other than colormatching. The turn signal bulbs in the non LED model could be upgraded to some 7440 led bulbs but not sure really if I would encourage a customer to do that. It's just a turn signal so why go through the hassle of adding resistors with the led bulbs. Keep it simple. The orange lenses were kind of a bitch to get out. Granted I was trying to be super careful not to damage them so that Klearz could use them. GM is all about the acrylic lighting pipes these days. Basically there is a LED at the end of the acrylic pipe and it lights it up. Pretty cool, but the acrylic is very sensitive to heat and will warp very easily if not careful. They are also very brittle so when messing around in there you must be careful. Break the pipe and you may end up ruining the lighting. (I learned that lesson the hard way on a set of 2019 Silverado RST lights and that cost me quite a bit of money to replace the light ).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2020 Silverado HD

Well these lights are ugly as hell no doubt. Not a lot of customization to be done other than colormatching and clear lenses. On this setup the customer's lights are getting colormatched with 8555 (basically to delete the chrome) and then some blue accenting to compliment his suspension components. All in all these weren't bad to work on. The orange lenses were easy to remove. Sent those off to Klearz to get some clear ones made. Similar acrylic piping to produce the LED accenting. I think that this is probably an easier way for GM (and other manufacturers) to create uniquely shaped accents since all they need to do is have the LED electronics at the ends of the piping instead of creating led boards with reflectors. Lots of screws holding these lights together in multiple layers. Makes clean up after removing the permaseal a bit more of a hassle since now there are more places for little bits and pieces to fall into.

Mirrors
Wish I could do more to make these look better . Ugliest mirrors ever put on a truck. Lol. Anyhow, these are just getting smoothed and painted 8555 black. Unlike previous generation mirrors I wasnt able to fully disassemble then. The two halves that make up the arm wont come off unless you really go crazy taking apart the inner components of the mirror. My painter can work with them broken down this far but I would have preferred to tear them down fully like I do with all other mirrors so that paint and clear coverage is easier to do. They do come apart in similar fashion to the previous generation mirrors. So nothing real exciting to share here.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2019 Silverado Custom TrailBoss

So these lights are a bitch to open up since they have some pretty tight curves. These lights are the most customizable though out of all the new GM trucks. Since they have a reflective halogen headlight design I am adding some Morimoto D2S 5.0 projectors with some black shrouds. Going to black out all the chrome. Klearz is making new lenses for these and for this setup we will be using smoked lenses. Turn signal bulbs (7443 dual filament) can be upgraded to LED switchback bulbs. I'll post more pics of this build as it progresses. Currently we are just waiting for the lenses to get back from Klearz.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little update on the Trailboss lights. Got the D2S 5.0 retrofit. Customer decided they would like the Profile Hi-lens installed in the high beam location so that will be done this week as well.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of 2020 HD lights getting done. Colormatched stuff and recently switchback setup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts