GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2500hd 03-07 with a 6.0 don't really like how the 4l80 has a really tall first gear and ones with a nv4500 are far and few between with any opitions. Has anyone built a 2500hd with a Nv4500 and turbo? Or have a manual at all not looking to tow much at all just need 2500 when I do and like a manual also.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Use a zf6 transmission. It was the manual option for the Duramax. Guys put the hurt to this trans with boosted LB7s and it takes it well.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
The tall first gear in the 80e is ideal for turbo application since it helps it build boost on launch.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
If you are trying to be fast the nv4500 and zf are not know to be quick shifting transmissions.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
agreed' NA before i boosted my truck i didnt care for the 1st gear in mine. but since i think its perfect. my turbo spools stupid fast and i can run it up to almost 60 before she shifts and the whole time its pulling hard ;)

Me- a few/ Diesel 0

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
Keep the 80e. They are beasts. Their first gears are kind to boost. You'll probably also lose less boost between shifts on an 80e vs. a manual. But to answer your question, yes. If built right, a boosted gas 6.0l will put a hurtin on a tuned dmax, probably even a built trans truck with bigger tunes.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
like mentioned the 80E is well suited to turbos.
depends on the turbo setup you are going to run but you will most likely not have much trouble with most diesels

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
most diesels are quick for just bolt on's but much after that its big $$$ for them. my borther inlaw has a dirty max turbo, injectors, intake, tune, and exhauts boosting 42lbs and i walk him bad. there just heavy. his truck moves out pretty good too .

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
ran a dmax yesterday once from a 35 a,d 2nd from 50. 1st run i spun like crazy till about 55-60 let out about 70 and had him by 5 cars ish. 2nd run ran up to about 85 tranny acted like it slipped going into 3rd so i let off and was prob 5ish again up frount.

guy had intake exhaust and a edge tuner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts