GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 that has a 263 HD transfer case I was wondering if I can swap it over to a 246 without any major issues I know the input shafts have different spline counts can I take the input shaft out of the 263 and put it into the 246 I greatly appreciate any help and input

·
Registered
729 Posts
I believe the two transfer cases are different lengths, around 5 inches of difference, but I would double check. You'll need to lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear to make it work. This is also assuming that there aren't any differences in the controller for the 2 transfer cases.

I am almost positive that the two input shafts will not interchange.

I am assuming your 246 came out from behind a 4l60e and the 263 is behind a 4l80? YOu can also just buy a 246 input shaft for 32 splines. Just one example:

https://www.allstategear.com/NP246-Transfer-Case-32-Spline-Input-Shaft-p/19019.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the two transfer cases are different lengths, around 5 inches of difference, but I would double check. You'll need to lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear to make it work. This is also assuming that there aren't any differences in the controller for the 2 transfer cases.

I am almost positive that the two input shafts will not interchange.

I am assuming your 246 came out from behind a 4l60e and the 263 is behind a 4l80? YOu can also just buy a 246 input shaft for 32 splines. Just one example:

https://www.allstategear.com/NP246-Transfer-Case-32-Spline-Input-Shaft-p/19019.htm
Ok ty I will check the length of the 2 cases. As for the input shafts I just got done switching them. I figured I might as well try lol it wasn't a hard job a lot easier than I thought it would be. Wiring on the encoder Motors are different but I believe I read another thread that explained how to why are the four button encoder motor to a 3-button that will be my next thing as long as the two cases are the same length thank you for your input

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would like to hear how it works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to hear how it works out.
I got the 246 t-case in the truck it drives nice just trying to figure out the wiring for the encoder motor now if anybody can help with that would be greatly appreciated the truck has a three button switch on the dash then the transfer case is supposed to have the 4-button so wiring is different does anybody know the mod for it or does anybody know if I can use the encoder motor for the 263 on the 246 t-case

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the 246 t-case in the truck it drives nice just trying to figure out the wiring for the encoder motor now if anybody can help with that would be greatly appreciated the truck has a three button switch on the dash then the transfer case is supposed to have the 4-button so wiring is different does anybody know the mod for it or does anybody know if I can use the encoder motor for the 263 on the 246 t-case
What did you have to do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts