GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much sums it up. Already gone up in tire size on my 03 2wd Sierra from factory, and now with the front leveling kit on and new wheels on the horizon, deciding if I really should go up any more with the 3.42 gears. Really really don't want to sink the $$$ into a gear swap on the truck. Could go with a 265/65R17 and get the same diameter tire I have on the truck now with the bigger rim (stock 16's) and a more aggressive AT tread.

And no, I'm not going bigger than 32", nor going higher. :)

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Title pretty much sums it up. Already gone up in tire size on my 03 2wd Sierra from factory, and now with the front leveling kit on and new wheels on the horizon, deciding if I really should go up any more with the 3.42 gears. Really really don't want to sink the $$$ into a gear swap on the truck. Could go with a 265/65R17 and get the same diameter tire I have on the truck now with the bigger rim (stock 16's) and a more aggressive AT tread.

And no, I'm not going bigger than 32", nor going higher. :)
275/70/17 is like a 31.5" tire.... stock size on most trucks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
275/70/17 is like a 31.5" tire.... stock size on most trucks
32.5" for the 275/70R17, I'm looking at the 265/70R17, which is closer to 31/5-32" depending on the tire. Thing is that the truck came with a 235/70R16, which was a 29" tire. I know going up 3" in diameter is going to have some impact on the low end and put some extra strain on the drive train - question is, is it too much. 4.10's would be the answer if gearing is the only answer if I want to go bigger. I'm not unhappy with how it drives now with the 265/70R16's on it, so may just stay with that tire size and just go up in rim size when I get the new wheels.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
32.5" for the 275/70R17, I'm looking at the 265/70R17, which is closer to 31/5-32" depending on the tire. Thing is that the truck came with a 235/70R16, which was a 29" tire. I know going up 3" in diameter is going to have some impact on the low end and put some extra strain on the drive train - question is, is it too much. 4.10's would be the answer if gearing is the only answer if I want to go bigger. I'm not unhappy with how it drives now with the 265/70R16's on it, so may just stay with that tire size and just go up in rim size when I get the new wheels.
sorry misread. my truck came stock with 265/75/16, which Is the same as my now 265/70/17's. Many guys have ran 33"+ tires on 3.42's. you will have no problems

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thought I'd be good, but the collective knowledge here has been great on other questions so wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a marginal situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Reg Cab, Ext Cab, or Crew Cab.....overall weight of the vehicle will make a difference too. That 4.8L power-plant isn't helping either.

All that aside, some Z71 trucks came factory with 265/70/17 and 3.42 axle ratio, and they seem to do ok (granted they most often have the 5.3L).

Being that you are 2wd, if you can score a junkyard factory 4.10 axle, that would be a very nice upgrade and a direct swap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a regular cab.

Here it is in it's current shoes with the level installed:

On a side note, truck rides great with the new Rancho RS7000mt shocks front & rear even with the spring spacer front level kit. Took it out on some rough back roads this afternoon to see if I could get any rattles in the cab after finishing the rear speaker install this morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts