GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run 285/30/24's that were purchased at Discount Tire...of course I purchased certificates on all tires...just had the side wall blow out on one and its been close to a week since I've dropped it off....anyhow they are telling me that they have a new policy that will not allow them to sell this same size tire to me for my truck...they want to have me go with a 35 series.

Anyhow did some research and specs for the Pirelli Scorpion 285/35/24 show its width at 12.3 and OD of 32.7...however the Kuhmo 295/35/24 shows a width of 11.9 and OD of 32.1...could this be correct? The smaller sized tire has larger specs?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Assuming you are getting these specs off of Tire Rack? Have you checked them against the manufacturer's specs?

Really the specs for the 285/35 sound quite big while the 295 sounds about right.

If you go purely off of conversion (obviously different manufacturers will vary a bit, but not usually that much, and the width of the wheel it was measured on will make a bit of a difference as well) the 285/35R24 should measure: 11.2 wide and 31.85 tall. The 295/35R24 should measure 11.6 wide and 32.13 tall.

Just looking at TR's specs for the 285, it seems a little off. The 285 shows a 12.3 section width (which sounds like 305 or 315 territory) with just a tiny 9.5 tread width, while the 295 is closer together with a 11.9 section and 11.1 tread.

Sounds to me like they got the specs wrong on the 285 :shrug:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Just checked Pirelli's website

They list the 285/35R24 as 31.9" tall and 11.1" wide, that sounds really close to my conversion numbers.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks man appreciate it...shoulda went to Pirelli site...just took me by surprise...that size should work.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
my discount only covered nail punctures if i got the the road hazard warranty and went with a 30 series. so i said fuck it since 35 series would have most likely rubbed at my current height.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my discount only covered nail punctures if i got the the road hazard warranty and went with a 30 series. so i said fuck it since 35 series would have most likely rubbed at my current height.
Yeh well they didn't say anything about that when I bought my certificates so now they are waiting for corporate to tell them what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts