GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just bought a 07 classic v6 4at, and it's never had a transmission service. I want to get some fresh fluid in there, but not too sure about it. I want to drop the pan, and change the filter, and replace some of the fluid... Please advise.. :/

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi! I just bought a 07 classic v6 4at, and it's never had a transmission service. I want to get some fresh fluid in there, but not too sure about it. I want to drop the pan, and change the filter, and replace some of the fluid... Please advise.. :/
and what makes you think the fluid has never been changed in 286,00 my truck has the v6 and Gm just put #5 4L60E in and i only have 92k

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
If you have gone through 5 trannys in 92K with a V6....you are doing something way wrong my friend.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have gone through 5 trannys in 92K with a V6....you are doing something way wrong my friend.
the forward sprag keeps breaking on every trans ive had, the only thing thats been in bed is firewood, and my tool box which usually drops rear 3''

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
That sounds like a friend of mine's truck. NBS 1500 4x4 stock tire size 5.3 4l60e and a hard life with a heavy footed driver. He went through 4 or 5 trannys in the time he owned it but he beat on that truck a decent bit.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
the forward sprag keeps breaking on every trans ive had, the only thing thats been in bed is firewood, and my tool box which usually drops rear 3''
fawk do you have 1000lbs in your tool box?!

you must drive like a jackass

·
Registered
437 Posts
fawk do you have 1000lbs in your tool box?!

you must drive like a jackass
no jackass driveing, with my toolbox loaded from work weights in bout 1900lbs... with all my tools and its only been in back 3 times.. the keep giveing me rebuilt trans...

·
resident craigslist whore
1,712 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. I've heard plenty of horror stories of people with high mileage (150k +) trucks and they go for a tranny service and flush, 2k miles later the tranny is smoked.

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
You will be ok with dropping the pan and changing the filter and topping off fluid. Do not flush

·
resident craigslist whore
1,712 Posts
You will be ok with dropping the pan and changing the filter and topping off fluid. Do not flush
That's the most I would do if I was actually gonna expect more than a few years outta that truck. I don't think anyone buys a truck with 286k on it expecting to drive it for another 5 or 6 years lol

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
Flushing with high mileage is ok if its been regularly done. My dads 91 has almost 500k on it, but has been flushed every 30k on the dot and runs flawlessly.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advise.. I'll go ahead and drop the pan, and get some fresh dexron 6 in there.

My plan with this truck is to eventually swap in an l33/4l70e in about a year or so.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
drop pan and change filter. Top off with Dexron 4 (non synthetic). Just add a bottle of the red lube guard. Synthetic will clean all the clutches of what ever little friction material left, and it may start slipping on you.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drop pan and change filter. Top off with Dexron 4 (non synthetic). Just add a bottle of the red lube guard. Synthetic will clean all the clutches of what ever little friction material left, and it may start slipping on you.

Mr. 960
HI! Thanks for the reply. Where can I find Dexron 4? I did a quick search on google, and redline seems to be the one that makes it?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Transmissions have clutches clutches get worn with use. At some point after 200K its just a matter of time.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
No such thing as Dex4. Grab whatever cheap house brand DexIII that's at the store you buy the filter.

The only quirk about changing the filter is the lip seal. If it won't come out of the pump body easily, don't fuck around and gouge at it with a pick. Just leave it. Pull the seal off the new filter and discard it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
No such thing as Dex4. Grab whatever cheap house brand DexIII that's at the store you buy the filter.

The only quirk about changing the filter is the lip seal. If it won't come out of the pump body easily, don't fuck around and gouge at it with a pick. Just leave it. Pull the seal off the new filter and discard it.
thanks Chris. it ahs been so long since i bought non synthetic, but you know what i mean, pre 06 GM fluid :)

Mr. 960

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update..

So I changed the filter, and whatever fluid came out. The magnet in the pan had some shavings in it, however not as much as i was expecting. I cleaned the magnet, changed the filter, added some dex 3 along with some red lubegard. The atf cleared some, however it went from looking brown to looking a dark red. I will add that the transmission shifts smoother and quicker, the shifts don't hesitate like it used to. So all in all it went good.

My buddies suggest I do this process all over again to get more fresh fluid in there. Thoughts? Also has anyone used an aftermarket pan with a drain plug? I found some cheap ones for 20 bucks or so..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts