GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... im sure this will fit but ive been told the tierods will suffer tremendously and the bearing on the NBS silverados will wear down fast with a tire as big as 37"... does anyone have any input on this?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Every step you go up in tire size, you go down one step in how long parts will last. 37s wont be aweful, but you WILL wear things out faster. Its just part of having a lifted truck.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but will i go through balljoints "like whoa"... he made it sound urgent like it is going to break off and make me crash...

·
6,656 Posts
Not if you treat it right and dont beat on it. Also your probably going to know your balljoint is going bad long before it breaks apart.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i usually dont romp really hard... we usually take my buddies truck out... and how will i know if my tierods and/or bearings are going out? do you think i should go up to 10"?

·
6,656 Posts
As far as checking them, feel for play in your steering and then visually inspect your rod ends. If you hear grinding, whiring or any of that its probably bearings. Just every oil change do a good inspection of your front end, make sure everything is nice and tight, no play in things. As far as do I think you should lift it 10", sure, if thats what you want. You will be happy with it, and as long as you take care of your truck it will be just fine.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i really do want to liek it that high but do you think it's actually a really big threat? how long do you think it would be until i would have to replace tie rods and bearings form the wear of the lift? and now someone is saying that im goign to have fun replacing my 2wd hubs, wtf are hubs? lol... im hopeless

·
Picture Me Rollin'
287 Posts
Dude, don't stress. I am up 20" on 40s with the same truck as you and have had almost no trouble with those parts. You'll be fine don't worry about it. There are tons of trucks on the road everyday with 10" lfts and above and 37" tires and above that never have any problems. Go for it, you'll love it.
Evan

·
6,656 Posts
Yeah it sounds like you dont beat on it hard, so I wouldnt worry. Ive put 30k HARD miles on mine with 35s and havnt broken and bearings or anything. I did snap a tie rod but I was wheeling it at the time. I would be way more concerned with rubbing, because im guessing you will be :read:

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah... i was talking with a guy on mct.com with my exact truck and my exact setup and he did minor trimming to the airdam and he rarely rubs, only when rompin...

·
Registered
724 Posts
you seem very werey about lifting your truck so high. If you truly want it that high do it and dont settle for less. anyone who has a lifted truck will tell you that they would have done something different and that there going to go bigger later. Like me I went with 7" and 35's, I want 10" with 37's, I save in the begining, but it will cost me more now because I am not satisfied. So do what you want and if you dont have the money, its worth the wait to save. And YES, a lifted truck will cost you money, you better not be broke. Things break, thats just how it is with lifted trucks, its the price you pay for your dreams.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ahve the money for the lift and wheels... im just waiting for the rest of the $ so i can afford some new gears ;\

·
Registered
724 Posts
get a power tech programmer 1st and then see if you need gears. Lifts always cost more than you think. get it in the shop and you will spend a couple hundred over what they quoted you. I spent $350 over the quoted amount, I was pissed!

·
6,656 Posts
Well firtst of all I recomend NOT getting a hypertec, its an ok product, I had one for over a year, but sold it to buy my Nelson tune, its not even comparable, its THAT much better for about the same price.

Also yes you should get new gears, I would get 4.56s for 37s. Running stock gears will put extra strain on your transmission etc... the hypertech or nelson does NOT fix that, it just changes shift points and adds power to make it "feel" better. There is no substitute for getting gears.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
werd to that... i cant wait til my nelson tune... thats coming right after gears...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've never herd of that Nelson. All the off-road shops direct me to the hypertec. Where do I get the Nelson and what makes it better?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
Nelson Tunes, from what i hear, are 10x better than the hypertech. the owner is member Farmtruc on this site, hes a prefered vendor. Everyone on this site says the power tatyou get from his tunes are incredible. try goin to nelsonperformance.com or look in the Nelson Tune forum to contact Allen

1 - 20 of 44 Posts