GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 576 Posts

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, that is right, I am doing it again. Fact is, I love to wrench, and I love trucks. This time however, I am going to stick to what my plan originally was and build something simple and useful that can be enjoyed every day.

The problem with the last build was that I tried going to the extreme which would result in a truck I could only drive every once in a while.

He is the plan that I WILL STICK TO:

1. DIY Brackets.
2. Ford HP 3/4 Ton D44, 4.56s, Highsteer.
3. 6 lugged 14 FF, disked, locked.
4. Ford Divorced Twinsticked NP205.
5. NV4500 Transmission.
6. EFI 406 SBC.
7. 37" Tires TBD.

Edit: As of 12/18/08 the following has changed:

1. Front will be a GM D60
2. I will attempt to swap the guts in the Ford T-case to make it P-drop
3. The 14FF will be 8 lug instead of 6 lug since the 6 lug hubs stripped out on me:mad:

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for some pics.

Freshly Rebuilt NV4500 with the 6.34 1st Gear:

P1010040.jpg

If you plan to rebuild one of these, I recommend going to Quad4x4.com for their rebuild manual, and contacting Macks Standard Transmissions out of Houston Texas for the rebuild kit. Rebuilding this unit was fun!

6 Lug Hubs for the 14 bolt (these still accept the 8 Lug disks):

P1010058.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010059.jpg

Ford Divorced NP205:

P1010042.jpg

I got this in trade for the labor to put a leveling kit on a 2WD Dodge.

Here are some Chevy Flattops I am going to use:

P1010039.jpg

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This passed weekend I installed the NV4500. I will post pictures of the finished product soon. Over all, the truck is a new animal with that trans. I just need to fix some wiring issues right now because the ECM used to control the engine AND transmission. Right now the ECM thinks the truck is in park.

Next, I plan to rebuild the T-case.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
So whats it like going down the road with the engine in "park"? :lol:

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Pics of the ride it's going in? Definitely going to be keep a close eye

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So whats it like going down the road with the engine in "park"? :lol:
HAH!! The rev limiter kicks in at 3500 RPM instead of 5000 like it is programmed at. That is about it, nothing else in the tune that is on it is affected.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
Bad ass man :rockon: I'm really starting to think when/if i do an purpose built rig I'd like to go with the NV4500 :rockon:

Edit: to reply and not whore the thread... Next offroad truck for me will be all trail and pry a yota.

M

·
0 Posts
Bad ass man :rockon: I'm really starting to think when/if i do an purpose built rig I'd like to go with the NV4500 :rockon:
:word: Especially if you can find the model he's usin the the extra deep granny gear.

If you don't plan on it seein the highway though, sm465 is probably the cost effective way to go though.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
:word: Especially if you can find the model he's usin the the extra deep granny gear.

If you don't plan on it seein the highway though, sm465 is probably the cost effective way to go though.
no probably about it...it IS the cost effective way to go. Even if you do have to do highway, consider gearing the axles a little higher than what most of us do...considering most of our transmissions have a 2.48-3.06 first gear, you wont notice it AS much if you were to keep a 456 gear in vs going to a 5.13 or so. Sure, not the ideal situation, but its MUCH MUCH better than being undergeared with a 4 speed auto.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont quit this one :whip: i watched you last thread it seemed like forever waiting for an update.
Things are much more stable now. Now that I have my own garage and tools, I can get work done a whole lot faster.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

NV4500s are WAY overpriced. You can expect to pay $1000 for one around here. Oh, and if you do happen to find one with the 6.34 granny, good luck finding the bellhousing with it. I think I picked up the only one in Houston.

I won't get into how much the salvage yard prices anger me.

If it is a trail only truck, SM465 FTW. You can get them for $100 or less, and those have a 6.55 granny.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In regards to the front axle, I was reminded about one good thing about 10 bolts. They use big bearing spindles. I had a 10 bolt that a buddy gave me, and I am using everything from the backing plates out. My hubs have also been slightly modified to fit a 9/16-18 stud from a K20.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
anyone can do it if you have a lathe and mill. You gotta turn down the OD of the hub to a particular measurement that will accept a 6 lug wheel (its near 4"). Weld the holes from the old 8 lugs, and mill them flat. 100% center the 6 on 5.5" pattern or else you will always have wheel wobble that will never go away. There is a certain tolereance to foloow for the bolt circle. Then you gotta turn down the axle shaft flange to the same OD and the hub so the wheel can slide on and off with out havng to remove the axle shaft each time to remove a tire.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
School me on these 8 to 6 lug hubs for 14 ff. Where and how much do they cost. Link?
Look to spend $500 on the labor. I am hooked up with two machinists that can do it.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the Ford 3/4 ton D44 I scored.

P1010043-1.jpg

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the installed pics of the NV4500:

P1010057-1.jpg

This picture shows the crossmember I had to make, and gives a glimpse at a minor exhaust modification in order for everything to clear.

P1010055.jpg

The crossmember is nothing but a piece of C-channel with boxed/tubed ends. I wanted to also utilize the factory holes in the chassis as well.

P1010058-1.jpg

All the black spots you see are from me handling that thing with dirty hands.

1 - 20 of 576 Posts