GMC Truck Forum banner

2wd Lift

2121 12
Alright guys, I am pretty new the GM game, but I recently purchased a '98 full size extended cab 2wd. I have a Jeep with 35's that I really use for Offroading and hunting, but I would like to put a small lift on this truck just to gain a little clearance on the front end. I will not really be offroading it or anything, but I do spend alot of time on the farm and with the ruts and obstacles there the air dam on the front rubs and sometimes even the crossmember of the IFS. I was thinking about just getting a 3" suspension lift and just go up to a slightly larger tire, but i was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or any pics of what it would look like with a 3" lift. I have looked all over the net, and I can't find a pic of a 2wd with a 3" suspension lift for the life of me. I appreciate any help you might be able to offer.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Stu, Your 4wd though right?

I called up Fabtech and they said 4" spindle they offer won't fit the stock wheels. So I was thinking of just going with the 3" springs and upper control arms. Any thoughts?

· I'm back!
1,838 Posts
X2elite said:
Hey Stu, Your 4wd though right?

I called up Fabtech and they said 4" spindle they offer won't fit the stock wheels. So I was thinking of just going with the 3" springs and upper control arms. Any thoughts?
Nah man im 2wd. I am running a 32" A/T. When it comes time for new rubbers ill be going with some model of 33's.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. I didn't realize that a 3" body lift on my 2wd would be so dramatic. I would still like to go with a little bit of a suspension lift, but now I am thinking maybe just go with the 3" suspension lift and then maybe a 2" body lift as well. Do you think I could fit 33's with that combo?

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but what about other brand spring and Control arm kits. Any ideas on those? Or perhaps just springs with the ball joint spacer to correct the angle. As I said before, this is not going to be a completely offroad vehicle it just needs a little more clearance.

· Registered
25 Posts
All of the upper control arm kits have pretty much the same requirement. The 3" spring with a ball-joint spacer is a pretty ghetto fabulous way of lifting a truck and rarely does it ride nice or align properly. A 2" spring and a ball-joint spacer maybe... a 3" spring and ball-joint spacer is just asking for problems. The ball-joint spacers are normally used in conjunction with an upper arm kit and are designed to help correct alignment and rebound travel issues - using them with a stock upper arm is possible but you won't enjoy the ride with a 3" lift spring stuffed under the truck.

[email protected]
www.PerformanceLifts.com

· rockin wheelies
367 Posts
Body lifts are easy to do i have a three inch body lift on my truck and it made a huge difference i can now fit 33's on my rig and they look great. It took me a full saturday to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.