GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I am pretty new the GM game, but I recently purchased a '98 full size extended cab 2wd. I have a Jeep with 35's that I really use for Offroading and hunting, but I would like to put a small lift on this truck just to gain a little clearance on the front end. I will not really be offroading it or anything, but I do spend alot of time on the farm and with the ruts and obstacles there the air dam on the front rubs and sometimes even the crossmember of the IFS. I was thinking about just getting a 3" suspension lift and just go up to a slightly larger tire, but i was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or any pics of what it would look like with a 3" lift. I have looked all over the net, and I can't find a pic of a 2wd with a 3" suspension lift for the life of me. I appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Stu, Your 4wd though right?

I called up Fabtech and they said 4" spindle they offer won't fit the stock wheels. So I was thinking of just going with the 3" springs and upper control arms. Any thoughts?

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
X2elite said:
Hey Stu, Your 4wd though right?

I called up Fabtech and they said 4" spindle they offer won't fit the stock wheels. So I was thinking of just going with the 3" springs and upper control arms. Any thoughts?
Nah man im 2wd. I am running a 32" A/T. When it comes time for new rubbers ill be going with some model of 33's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. I didn't realize that a 3" body lift on my 2wd would be so dramatic. I would still like to go with a little bit of a suspension lift, but now I am thinking maybe just go with the 3" suspension lift and then maybe a 2" body lift as well. Do you think I could fit 33's with that combo?

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
yeah not a problem with that combo, i would probably encounter some rubbing issues but i dont wheel my rig much.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you install the body lift yourself, or have someone else do it. I do all of the work on my vehicles myself. I was just wondering how much of a PITA it is to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Fabtech upper control arm and 3" lift spring kit is not designed to be used with stock wheels either. The back space requirement for both kits is around 3.75" inches when running a larger (taller or wider) than stock tire. Basically the spindle and control arm kits have the same wheel requirements.

Jeff @ PLC
www.PerformanceLifts.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but what about other brand spring and Control arm kits. Any ideas on those? Or perhaps just springs with the ball joint spacer to correct the angle. As I said before, this is not going to be a completely offroad vehicle it just needs a little more clearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All of the upper control arm kits have pretty much the same requirement. The 3" spring with a ball-joint spacer is a pretty ghetto fabulous way of lifting a truck and rarely does it ride nice or align properly. A 2" spring and a ball-joint spacer maybe... a 3" spring and ball-joint spacer is just asking for problems. The ball-joint spacers are normally used in conjunction with an upper arm kit and are designed to help correct alignment and rebound travel issues - using them with a stock upper arm is possible but you won't enjoy the ride with a 3" lift spring stuffed under the truck.

[email protected]
www.PerformanceLifts.com

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
Body lifts are easy to do i have a three inch body lift on my truck and it made a huge difference i can now fit 33's on my rig and they look great. It took me a full saturday to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts