GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im the same as mojo4x4 when it comes to lifts. dont know that much. but if anyone could help me, esp. darketernal since he knows everything about lifts :worship: , thatd be awesome. im lookin to get a lift for my 97 c1500. i dont want less than 6" or more than 10" and depending what i can get i could throw on a 3" BL. my best friends uncle is one of the top guys at 4wheelparts in riverside so they can hook my up with tires and gears and whatever else. but i was just wondering what brands have a good lift for 2wd that u guys would recommend and how big those lifts r. thanks

steve

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Well a general rule for a 2wd truck is that is sits 2-3" below a 4x4.
Example:
-6" lift on a 4x4 will - by most standards, clear 35" tires on an 8-10" wide rim.
-8-9" is typically what it takes to clear 35s on a 2wd.

With this said the main thing is what size tire do you want to run. Full throttle makes lifts for obs 2wd trucks im pretty sure, as well as some other companies. I dont THINK 3rd coast does but am not sure, your best bet would to call kevin. I think you would be very happy running a 9.5" Full throttle or so and 36x14.50s. You would need to trim some probably because of the width of the tire, but not to bad. Also a bodylift on top of it would easily solve any rubbing. Keep in mind 4wp will not instal any "big" lifts - the biggest being like the 8" fabtech for the HDs. They also will not instal a bodylift on top of a suspension lift.

If you decide you want to stick to a 6" lift fabtech makes some great 2wd products, they actually started out in the 2wd market before they ever made 4x4 kits.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man. i was thinking of doing the fabtech 7" long travel w/ dual front shocks & a 3" body lift with either 35's or 38's or however big i can fit without trimming anything. also if i do get that, my best friend, his sisters boyfriend, and my friends dad can put on the lift and everything so im not worried about getting a shop to do it. they just put on a 4" lift on their new ford f250.

·
6,656 Posts
Long travel suspensions are awsome and fun to play with! the 7" would clear 35s if you got some glass fenders (like ewogy). No way would you fit 38s even with a bodylift. Also just so you know, lifting an ifs vehicle is a whole different world than lifting a sfa one like their f250. There is ALOT more involved. Im certainly not saying you cant do it, just making sure you know what your getting into. I recomend you read the instructions before you make the decision to do it yourself.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
checkout other 2wd trucks on the net and see what they carry, and get ideas for what you really want to do yourself, if your going to do a 2wd suspension lift i would ge a big suspension off the bat and some nice tires, regear with your hook up at 4wheel parts so you can push those tires with your engine, then if it isn't big enough for your butt add on the bodylift and get soem bigger tires later down the road.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
dont waste your money on fabtech long travel. its not high enough quality to even use the long travel part

if you seriously want long travel then get a kit that can actually be used heavy offroad.

fabtech 2wd is not meant for offroading.

there is a HUGE difference between 35s and 38s. 38s will just destroy the front end components, 35s on 15x8s is the limit as far as how big i would go.

7 inch fabtech+3 inch body on 35s is the most common lifted truck in my area. TONS of them and nearly all of them have alignment problems and balljoint problems.

im a huge fan of lifted 2wds, but i also believe in doing it within reason.

7 inch will clear 33s on 15x8s. 10 inches clears 35s on 15x8s. thats with no trimming.

if you wanna get a long travel, look into cst or camburg, but it will cost A LOT of money.

·
6,656 Posts
I wasnt even going to bring CST into the picture, got the idea he didnt want to spend a fortune. Jeff is right though, CST is in many peoples opinion the best designed long travels. I wouldnt go as far as saying you cant wheel fabtech though. I know people that have had the exact same probelm as mentioned above with the CST kit, thats just the effects of having big tires on ifs and banging it around like you would with long travel.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
no doubt camburg is the best. but i think the suspension on that GMC cost like 7 or 8 grand.........lol.

another thing i forgot to mention, long travel kits SEVERLY hinder your tire fitment. they push the front tires out MUCH further past the fenders than a normal spindle lift. this means you pretty much have to run glass fenders to avoid rubbing

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the input guys. so i guess dont do a fabtech long travel? in that case i'll think about that ultimate system fabtech has. and DE's right. i really dont wanna spend a fortune on a lift. i still gotta have money for college. so if i go 7" w/ 3" body with 35's, what size rim would be ideal to get? also what kind of gears should i look into? my friend has an obs tahoe with a 10" whiplash lift on 38's and regeared and he just blew his tranny. so should i look into doing anything to my tranny? thanks for the advice

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sevenfold said:
Either one will work, 15" wheels will make your tires look bigger.
true. i never thought about that.

ok so rims, tires, gears, lift & bodylift. is there anything missing that i should get?

·
6,656 Posts
you might want to put some kind of traction deivce in the back, like an auburn lsd or detroit locker. Check out the new offroad produts auburn is now offering the ECTED - an electric lsd/locker.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how do i find out what kind of rear end i have? (i.e. 10-bolt 7.5", 12-bolt, etc)

·
6,656 Posts
You have a 8.5" 10 bolt, 99% sure. If its 10 bolts thats what it is (10 bolts on the diff cover) There is a small small chance you have a 14 bolt sf (if you have 14 bolts on teh diff cover)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts