GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am sure someone has done this but I can't seem to find anything about it...

Vehicle specs: 92 Chevy Crew Cab Dually.

I have seen some of the info on the swap for single wheel trucks and I was wondering if there would be any difference, aside from getting a dually front axle, to the swap.....

If anyone has some info, parts recomandations, and or a link to some good reading material about the swap I would appreciate it!!!!

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
I will bite. It has been done. However, given the fact that the truck is lowered, and you now want to SFA it, I am assuming that it is more for show than go.

Here is what I recommend for the front axle:

1. Search Ebay and Craigslist for Dana 60 Inner and outer knuckles, spindles, rotors, hubs and brake hardware.
2. Source a length of 3.125"-.5" DOM.
3. Put all this together to make a non driven steering axle.

Since the truck has coil spring buckets already, I recommend you use a linked or radius arm front setup with the coils. It should be easy since you wouldn't have a differential to deal with.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will bite. It has been done. However, given the fact that the truck is lowered, and you now want to SFA it, I am assuming that it is more for show than go.

Here is what I recommend for the front axle:

1. Search Ebay and Craigslist for Dana 60 Inner and outer knuckles, spindles, rotors, hubs and brake hardware.
2. Source a length of 3.125"-.5" DOM.
3. Put all this together to make a non driven steering axle.

Since the truck has coil spring buckets already, I recommend you use a linked or radius arm front setup with the coils. It should be easy since you wouldn't have a differential to deal with.
I will say it is a bit for show in regrds to the lift part, but more so i do want a functioning 4 wheel drive. I purchased the truck and it already had the drop kit on it, after rebuilding the tranny and motor I bought a boat, now the lack of practicality of a lowered 2wd dually is coming into play on the boat ramp, not to mention I am sick of replacing front end parts and shocks, but thats a story for another time....

So with that said I am trying to do this on the cheap, like most everyone, so a junk yard parts build is the direction i am heading towards, please help me out and point me in the right direction.

Oh and I owe to much and have spent to much to get rid of it and buy a 4x4... Incase anyone had that suggestion!

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
......I am trying to do this on the cheap
You may as well "lift" your truck back to stock then. A one ton SAS is never cheap.

You are looking at $800 minimum for a DRW Dana 60 front, which will need rebuilding. Since your truck is a long wheel base, I recommend a Divorced NP205 ($200) transfercase for ease of conversion. Lets not forget the drive shafts you will need ($650). The sky kit will be about $450 IIRC, and you can get leaf springs for roughly $100 a set at a junk yard.

Right now we are looking at $2200 roughly just for the main components. You will still need shocks, misc. fabrication, rebuild kits etc.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may as well "lift" your truck back to stock then. A one ton SAS is never cheap.

You are looking at $800 minimum for a DRW Dana 60 front, which will need rebuilding. Since your truck is a long wheel base, I recommend a Divorced NP205 ($200) transfercase for ease of conversion. Lets not forget the drive shafts you will need ($650). The sky kit will be about $450 IIRC, and you can get leaf springs for roughly $100 a set at a junk yard.

Right now we are looking at $2200 roughly just for the main components. You will still need shocks, misc. fabrication, rebuild kits etc.
Yeah that is what I was expecting as far as cost (around $2500-$3000), I guess cheap is a relative term..... I guess a better way to put it is; as cheaply as possible.

I really want the 4 wheel drive due to some of the boat ramps in Missouri are very steap and with 2wd I have had problems getting my boat out, to the point I had to take the boat back off the trailer and unhook the trailer and let someone with 4x4 pull it out. My boat and trailer way in at almost 12K pounds.

As far as fab I have that taken care of already, got a guy who owes me some favors. i am just kind of looking for a parts list so I can start to look for and find parts as cheap as possible, I am not trying to start tomorrow on the build but I am trying to start amassing parts!

So as complete of a parts list as anyone can come up with would be great!!!!

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
I would look for a donor vehicle at a junkyard to start my parts pile, but Axis knows more about 2wd to 4x4 SFA then anyone else.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doesn't someone jus make a 2wd lift for that thing?
I am not sure, but again I want 4 wheel drive so I can get my boat up the boat ramp, a lot of the ramps out at Lake Of The Ozarks are really steep!

Its not fun trying to find someone to pull your boat out for you on a sunday when everyone is in a hurry!!!!

·
To busy too care
281 Posts
Sell your 2wd dually, take the $2500-3000 that you would be putting towards the conversion and put it towards a 4wd.

It doesn't get any easier than that

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Find a axle and transfer case once you find that the rest can be had pretty easy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sell your 2wd dually, take the $2500-3000 that you would be putting towards the conversion and put it towards a 4wd.

It doesn't get any easier than that
If I hadn't already put a new motor and tranny as well as having redone the entire interior and I am currently in the process of painting the truck of and lets not forget the dash and door panel swap to the 95+ style stuff.

So no I am not gonna sell this truck!!! I have already gone through everything on this truck and I know the condition of everything.

·
To busy too care
281 Posts
If I hadn't already put a new motor and tranny as well as having redone the entire interior and I am currently in the process of painting the truck of and lets not forget the dash and door panel swap to the 95+ style stuff.

So no I am not gonna sell this truck!!! I have already gone through everything on this truck and I know the condition of everything.
Oh well, I tried. I would have bought it
Anyway, I've done a few SAS conversions and depending on the route that you want to go, price and fabrication can change a lot. I agree with axisT6 100% on what you will need. Leaf springs would be the cheaper way to go but if you splurge a little bit you could do a 4-link with coils since the cups are already there.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Alright, search using my name, and look at my 2nd 2wd to 4x4 SFA thread. All your questions will be answered there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh well, I tried. I would have bought it
Anyway, I've done a few SAS conversions and depending on the route that you want to go, price and fabrication can change a lot. I agree with axisT6 100% on what you will need. Leaf springs would be the cheaper way to go but if you splurge a little bit you could do a 4-link with coils since the cups are already there.
Yeah but if you knew what I would have to sell it for to pay off the loan I have on it you wouldn't buy it!!! LOL.

Alright, search using my name, and look at my 2nd 2wd to 4x4 SFA thread. All your questions will be answered there.
Yeah I came across that today. A lot of great info!!!! Thanks!

So what are the advantages/disadvantedges of Ford (drivers side) vs. GM (passangers side) axle. I have to purchase a transfer case so I know I have to get a t-case with the same side drop as the axle but what else....

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
So what are the advantages/disadvantedges of Ford (drivers side) vs. GM (passangers side) axle. I have to purchase a transfer case so I know I have to get a t-case with the same side drop as the axle but what else....
There are not really any major advantages or disadvantages. The GM Dana 60 is easier to find, and has better knuckles IMO. Also, if you read my thread, you can get a ford divorced np205 and swap the input/outputs around to make it a pass. drop case. Also, the ford Div. np205 is usually the cheapest, and has the best design as far as mounting points are concerned.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are not really any major advantages or disadvantages. The GM Dana 60 is easier to find, and has better knuckles IMO. Also, if you read my thread, you can get a ford divorced np205 and swap the input/outputs around to make it a pass. drop case. Also, the ford Div. np205 is usually the cheapest, and has the best design as far as mounting points are concerned.
Cool, I sent you a PM with a few axle specific questions let me know your thoughts if ya don't mind!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Make sure you post pics when you do the conversion!!!:popcorn:
Its gonna be a while, but I will make sure to get some posted.

I did however find this dually over on another forum that has the coil spring ford link front end under it using the stock gm pockets and everything else ford, now only if I had more info...

2879022377_b83c6dbea2-1.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts