GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also posted in the street forums but I'm really not sure of the direction I want to go. I need new tires soon and I figured I might as well do this all at once. Does anyone have pics of a 2wd crew with about 3-4" of lift, probably spindles or a 4wd crew with cranked torsion parts? Right now the cost to lift may be a factor against lifting since I would need gears which would be a huge added cost.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Exactly what you wanted... A crew cab 2wd with a 4" spindle on 285's w/ 17x8 wheels... It's not as big as you'd think:
63_857_600x400_100_0242.gif

63_858_600x400_100_0243.gif

63_855_600x400_100_0236.gif

63_856_600x400_100_0238.gif

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually the only guy I've seen with the CST spindles. I was reading on pt.net where he said that he was at about a HD height, which is what I would ideally want, but I think I'm looking for more encouragement through pictures because I was figuring its going to cost me about 2 grand to go with a lift.

CSTs $650 Fabtech + spacers $560
Gears/ locker ~$900 (3.23s won't work too well)
And I would need flares ~ 200
And plus the cost of offset blocks and u bolts.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
3.23s are fine with 285s. You don't need a locker. Flares aren't necessary. Blocks and u-bolts are only $60 new.

BTW, you do realize that you have to run aftermarket wheels with spindle lifts, right? You can't have more than 4.5" of backspacing. Stock wheels have close to 6" of backspacing I believe. So that'll add to the cost of a spindle lift.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You will also only be going with a 2" block so you will not need the offset block from cst. Any regular block will work. The truck I had the problem with ran the 2" regular block before we got the 4" offset block in and it was fine.

Also with 285's I wouldnt do a gear upgrade either, and flares are not needed unless you just like the look.

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3.23's are fine with 285s? are you sure about that, I know its doable but I think it would be a pain to get the truck rolling, and not to mention gas cost. I mean maybe I could run it like that for a while since its mostly a street truck but I think eventually over time I would have to go to about a 4.10 or at least a 3.73. And flares are a personal choice I know but to mean it would complete the look. I was saying a locker or better limited slip then the g80 because that's what I have now and while I was changing the gears I was just going to do that also, make it a one shot deal. And about the wheels, I was planning on running something aftermarket but didn't include that in my pricing because it doesn't matter if I go up or down I would get wheels either way, and I figured they would probably be about the same. Thanks for all the help so far, and if I could put the cost of gearing on the side for now that might make me want to get a lift instead of dropping.

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will also only be going with a 2" block so you will not need the offset block from cst. Any regular block will work. The truck I had the problem with ran the 2" regular block before we got the 4" offset block in and it was fine.

Also with 285's I wouldnt do a gear upgrade either, and flares are not needed unless you just like the look.
Hey guys I really appreciate the help, it means a lot coming from you two. You guys really think the gearing is alright? Won't my revs and gas go down the tube though? And if I run a 2" block I could just get a z71 block and ubolts right? What if I wanted to add a coil spacer to the front? would a 3" block push me towards needing the offset block?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
3.23's are fine with 285s? are you sure about that, I know its doable but I think it would be a pain to get the truck rolling, and not to mention gas cost. I mean maybe I could run it like that for a while since its mostly a street truck but I think eventually over time I would have to go to about a 4.10 or at least a 3.73. And flares are a personal choice I know but to mean it would complete the look. I was saying a locker or better limited slip then the g80 because that's what I have now and while I was changing the gears I was just going to do that also, make it a one shot deal. And about the wheels, I was planning on running something aftermarket but didn't include that in my pricing because it doesn't matter if I go up or down I would get wheels either way, and I figured they would probably be about the same. Thanks for all the help so far, and if I could put the cost of gearing on the side for now that might make me want to get a lift instead of dropping.
Yes 3.23's won't be that bad. They won't be the best. I ran 3.42's and 305/70/16's and it wasn't bad at all.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
3.23 with 285s would suck :imo With a 4" spindle you'll be sitting closer to a 1/2 ton 4x4 cranked up than a HD, I think :think:

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes 3.23's won't be that bad. They won't be the best. I ran 3.42's and 305/70/16's and it wasn't bad at all.
Hmm, interesting, what was your gas mileage like? And any tranny problems? (my worst fear, the 60E as you all know ain't the best out there)

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
You won't have tranny problems running 285s. You'll probably get better highway mileage with 285s. (Lower rpms)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I cant say that its the best setup running a 3.23's and 285's but I ran 37's with 3.73's and it ran ok and the truck is still on the road with no problems that I know of tranny wise. But when i switched to 4.88's it made a difference on the highway climbing hills but thats it. And the change from your current tires to 285's isnt a change like a 265 to a 37 or even a 35 with stock gearing.

I would suggest a stock 4wd block, because its cheap and quality. I wouldnt run anything bigger then the 2" personally without getting the offset block.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts