GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I got a '96 C1500 and am seriously thinking about lifting it. I want to get a 4" spindle, probably from Fabtech, but I am not ruling out any other companies. I would also like to keep my stock 15x7 aluminum wheels to help keep the cost of this project at a minimum. I would probably run some 31x10.5x15" tires.

1. What is the best brand of spindles? (combination of price and quality)
2. Where is the best place to buy spindles? (good prices/customer service/quality product)
3. Can I keep my stock wheels? I have heard that I can and then I heard that I can't b/c the backspacing is too great. So, which is it?

Thanks for the advice in advance. :D

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
i don't know the answers for 1 and 2, but on 3, i really doubt you can keep stock rims. i did a spindle lift on a 2wd dak and he has to have rims with 3.75 bs or less...stock for ur truck and his is 5.5, so don't think ur gettin out of havin to buy rims, cuz i seriously doubt stockers will work in the front...

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the best spindles are probably CST, but do you really need them? probably not. just find a nice deal on some fabtech 4 inches, then go get some 15x7s with 3.5 inch backspacing, some 31x10.5s and you will be set. prepare for a very slow truck tho

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I can't keep my stock wheels? But I have seen NBS trucks with spindle lifts and stock wheels. The backspacing is different with the NBS wheels?
I'm kinda disappointed I can't keep my stock wheels. The price of this procedure has now near doubled. :pissed:

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff said:
prepare for a very slow truck tho
I have 3.42s and a V6. Would 31's really slow it down that much? Its only 2 sizes bigger than what I already have.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yeah ive seen nbs trucks with stockers too, i dunno how that works.

what gears does your truck have? if you have 3.42 or 3.08s then your gonna be really sorry you put bigger tires on.

sounds like your budget is small right now, my advice would be save up more money and think out the final plans

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Lifting gets expensive real quick. Just cause the kit is say $300 dont expect for that to be all you spend.

Some spindles are different then others is the reason some use stock rims and some dont. Im not up on all the 2wd lifts since I just got into it, but I know fabtech and CST requires 4.5" or less and stock is 5" so no OEM rims

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I do know quite a bit about the mechanics of lifting trucks and the like. I have helped friends with body lifts and suspension lifts. I was just curious about the best spindles out and places to buy. And yes, I do have a small budget. I go to college full time and have a job but the money I make goes directly towards tuition. I guess I'll have to wait a while longer and save up for some wheels.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 98 with fabtech spindles on it right now and stock wheels. It will work as long as the tire you put on isn't too much wider then stock tire. Trust me. I can get some pics if you don't believe me, but i am about to do the rest of my lift because it is a 7 inch altogether i just have the spindles installed right now.

I also have a new set of fabtech spindles in the box too that i am trying to sell for a buddy of mine for $400 shipped.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe you, but do you have any pictures of your truck? About how close is the tire to the spindle? What size tires do you have on it right now?

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
With your question about slowing it down i have 33s and mine is still quick and i have a 4.3 :head:

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
What gearing does your friend have or did he change it and what performace mods does he have? :head:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I really dont know if he has 3.73 or 3.42. He has a hypertech, but everyone that had one of those before the nelson tune know how little power they actually give you. I say it will pull it fine in town. getting on highways that need alot of speed maybe a bit fun to do, but it can be done. He drives 220 miles home from college with no problems. does like 75+ the whole way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts