GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 Yukon that I'm thinking of swapping to full 3/4 tons suspension. I've searched for f'n hours trying to find any info, and can't find shit. On GMT400 there is a post on swapping to GMT800 brakes, and briefly mentions going to 8 lug. The knuckles will fit the 400 lowers and uppers, one or both needed to be reamed. What I'm looking for is a way to swap in the 3/4 front diff, I don't want strength, I just want 4.10s, and want to swap to 8 lug cause I have a 14ff rear, and H2 wheels. I can get all the parts dirt cheap from a junkyard, so don't want to spend money on 4.10s for the front diff. The yukon has a 4" lift on it, which I guess makes it easier to mount diff, and supposedly upper control arm. So does anybody have any pics info anything??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
least in my case might be an easy swap. I have an older Rancho lift on my yukon, and the upper a arm drop down brackets are spread out.I measured a stock 3/4t upper at a junkyard, and got the same measurements.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My buddy tried doing this in a GMT400 and it didn't work very well. The 9.25 differential is wider and will sit more to the passenger side. The mounting bolts didn't all line up and with it sitting to the right the CV shaft was too long on the passenger side and too short on the driver side.

We ended up using the original diff and using the 3/4 ton spindles so that he had matching lug patterns. The CV shafts have the same spline.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm interesting. Been doing a shit ton of reading, and finding many are simply moving a mount. Maybe cause they have a lift as I do, it's easier. Takes only some time, so I'll give it a shot. If it's too much of a PITA, then go with my original plan and SAS it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Keep in mind, it wouldn't be an impossible swap by any means, it just wasn't a direct or even in-direct bolt on install and just wasn't worth the headache. My buddy wasn't off roading the vehicle and really only needed the stronger rear axle for towing and wanted to have the front wheels match up as well as have the bigger brakes.

If you are willing/able to do an SAS then you should have the skills and/or willingness to complete this as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that I don't have skills its a place to work on it. I don't have a garage to work on it in lol. And right now its' 15 degrees out. But it appears the upper a arm is either homemade of from a kit that isn't around anymore. Leaning towards the homemade cause nobody recognizes it. So, might just get a 3/4 upper and see if it bolts on. Hopefully will have it driveable, and get it aligned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts