GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to mostly level my truck. But an added inch or two would be nice.
I am thinking about the 4" cst spindle. I have 17" stock wheels now. I have
read the stock wheels wont work with the cst spindle. But I have seen alot of
trucks running stock wheels. Was this limited to the 16" stock wheels?

Four2fight

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
Not sure It may just pertain to the 16 inch rims, someone will chime in cst is one of the best companies though

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. CST has solid products. My brother has these spindles on his truck.
He has really tested them out. His truck has spent alot of time in the air.
And they have held up fine.

Four2fight.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The rim can't exceed 4.5" of backspacing, so stock rims won't work. (I believe stock rims have a backspacing of like 6" or so.)

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
Rough Country makes a 3" spindle that claims stock rims will work.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If all else fails, call the company directly. They'll be able to tell you what they recommend and what will or won't fit.

Beware, a lot of companies say "Stock rims ok", but that's only with stock tires. (ie: you get a flat and need to temporarily run your stock spare.) Tires that are 10.5", 11.5", or 12.5" wide will rub on the upper a-arm with stock wheels.

The safest way is to find out what the max backspacing is and don't exceed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you only use the spindle lifts with a 2wd truck?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Can you only use the spindle lifts with a 2wd truck?
Yes.

However, a lot of companies use aftermarket spindles in 4wd kits... but they also drop the lower a-arm down at the same time. If you only added a spindle to a 4wd truck, the CV angles would be un-operational and you'd be exploding joints left and right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just really looking to level the truck out. I think maybe I should look into coil spacers. I dont really want to have to replace my stock wheels. I have also
heard of using the HD front coils. Does anyone know about this.

Four2fight

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
why dont you just get a levelling kit from tuff country or something?
if you jsut want to level out your truck that would probably be the easiest cheapest way wouldnt it?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I have also heard of using the HD front coils. Does anyone know about this.
I've heard of this for the older 88-98 trucks. The coils were interchangeable and the 3/4 ton 2wd's had slightly larger/stiffer coils than the 1/2 ton 2wd's. A swap gave you about 1.5"-2" of front lift.

This won't work for the '99 and up trucks though. The HD's haven't used coil springs since 2000 and I don't think the older coil springs will fit into a new truck.

If all you're looking to do is get the truck level, I'd either add a coil spacer to the front or add a 2" shakle in the rear. I chose to use the 2" shakle because I didn't want to mess around with my steering or suspension angles. I'm happy and it's 100% level.

·
Registered
162 Posts
someone will chime in cst is one of the best companies though
I was waiting for someone to say Cognito 10-12".

On a serious note...I am running the CST spindles on an '03 2500. I actually got the 4" they claim (measured before and after). They claim no wider than 4.5" backspacing. My wheels are 17x10's with 4.5" BS but it looks like you could POSSIBLY use 4.75" or 5"...I couldn't be sure. That assessment is just from the amount of clearance that I see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts