GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bought some 3/4 shafts from Rock Auto they are Cardone Selects. Really beefy...then i got some adapters from a guy at FSC, that he took off his truck, cuz hes doing a solid axle swap. Then i tore into my truck this morning.

the overall install wasnt that complicated, had to get my sway bar end links out of the way, no problem. then remove the old cvs and spacers...the bolts that hold the cv to the differential werent too bad, well for 9 of those bolts it was easy...for the last 3...it was a bit tricky, they got stripped out, they were in there pretty good...i busted out the angle grinder and hacked off the heads and slid the cv off, then slid off the spacers, then backed the bolts out using channel locks. piece of cake.

the new 3/4 ton cvs pretty much bolt right in. really easy swap. after i had the truck all put back together i took it for a ride, and found some mud...heres the pics as promised!

old cv's
DSCF1678.gif

problem bolts...hacked off
DSCF1679.gif

old RCX spacers
DSCF1680.gif

New cv's installed...and muddy (yea i know my cognito tie rods hit my sway bar at full turn...oh well.)
DSCF1683.gif

DSCF1684.gif

DSCF1685.gif

Truck
DSCF1681.gif

DSCF1682.gif

and then my aunts two dogs that were watching
Whiny- Poma-doodle
DSCF1687.jpg

Daisy- Golden Doodle
DSCF1689.jpg

Enjoy!

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx dude, when i had m stock cvs with the rcx spacer in there, i felt like there was a bit of binding in the front, but now with the 3/4 ton cvs and the new adapters, i didnt feel any at all.

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yea man, my buddy was like...welp we gotta test out the 4wd now. so we found an abandoned lot that was gonna be a huge developement a few years back but the company went bankrupt...we took it through there and it was pretty nice and muddy. it was fun

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
whats the difference between the two CV's? i notice one doesnt have the spacers or can you not see it in the picks. ive never herd of doin this trick, please tell me more.

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the only way you can accomplish this swap is if you have a lift kit that uses a spacer ~1.5" wide. Most knuckle kits use a spacer in the front because the new lift knuckles push the wheels out so a spacer is needed on the cv...

with this swap a NEW spacer is used that is also an adapter to the 3/4 ton cv. since 3/4 cv axles are a bit longer than a regular 1/2 ton cv, a smaller spacer is needed, and since 3/4 ton cv's have a different bolt pattern than 1/2 ton cv, the new smaller spacer is also an adpater.

So my old rcx spacers are not needed with this swap.

the 3/4 ton spacer is also a lot beefier compared to the 1/2 ton cv

heres a thread from fullsizechevy: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/offroad/254772-3-4-ton-cvs-1-2-ton-nbs.html

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
ok gotcha, i never likes the idea of the spacers when i was putting those lifts on back in the day. learn something new everyday.

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i didnt like the idea of the spacers either on my rcx kit, they were just soft aluminum. i dented the shit out of them when i was taking them off. the new spacers i believe are steel, but i cant say that for sure. but its just a little bit of added piece of mind.

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
yea i didnt like the idea of the spacers either on my rcx kit, they were just soft aluminum. i dented the shit out of them when i was taking them off. the new spacers i believe are steel, but i cant say that for sure. but its just a little bit of added piece of mind.
The adapters are made of CNC Machined 6061-T6 Aluminum and Anodized Black.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
sweet, I was thinking about doing this but ZachXSmith bought the last set of adapters available.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
pull your sway bar. hell u wont notice much of a difference anyways, will probably make the ride better!

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
sweet, I was thinking about doing this but ZachXSmith bought the last set of adapters available.
Not true. I have one set left packaged and ready to ship just for you, Jameson.:pepper::crazy: I can also have more made anytime someone wants a set. I just try and do them in batches because it keeps the cost down.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I need to see if Zach ever tried em on his Tahoe before he wrecked it, and check on the price of some CV shafts from Rock Auto :D. Should I just look for any year 2500?

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
I need to see if Zach ever tried em on his Tahoe before he wrecked it, and check on the price of some CV shafts from Rock Auto :D. Should I just look for any year 2500?
He wrecked his Tahoe? I trust he is OK. I was wondering why he hadn't written anything about installing them. Anyway, Blacknight has a set, check with him. If you need anymore testimonials, let me know, I have lots of references. Yes, Cardone Select Part #66-1325, $57.00Ea Brand New at Rock Auto. Better hurry, somebody might scoop these.:rofljest::lol:

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
He wrecked his Tahoe? I trust he is OK. I was wondering why he hadn't written anything about installing them. Anyway, Blacknight has a set, check with him. If you need anymore testimonials, let me know, I have lots of references. Yes, Cardone Select Part #66-1325, $57.00Ea Brand New at Rock Auto. Better hurry, somebody might scoop these.:rofljest::lol:
Yeah he is ok, atleast he didnt state anything about him being hurt. Just that some stupid bitch hit him.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts