GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 2004 sierra with a 5.3 i wana my first mod to be by gears so my question is there a big diff?????? it's by daily driver so i dont want to much but i still want some diff :evil:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
What is your current gear ratio and what size tires are you running? Are you running heavier aftermarket wheels? What is the truck used for? (Offroad, strip, cruising?)

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
I had 4.11's in my 94 on 20" 275/35/20's and it was my DD did not really hurt any thing my freeway RPS where higher but it didnt really hurt my MPG that bad like 1-2 MPG

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Well, some trucks come stock with 3.73s and 4.10s.... so make sure of what you have before you decide to upgrade.

Assuming you have 3.23's, you won't notice much of a difference jumping up to 3.73s. To get your money out of re-gearing, you should do 4.10s.

I'm not quite sure why you want to swap gears though... since it's just your daily driver. It's kind of an expensive mod. :think:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd start with basics before gears. I went from a 3.55:1 to a 4.10:1 in my Ford, didn't really notice much to warrant the swap. I could have spend that $400 elsewhere... i.e. on my heads.

Basics for you:

Intake,
Fans,
Tune,
Full exhaust

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
i did the intake, program, custom exhaust except for headers and or y-pipe.
now i want my stall/gears/posi/headers/or y-pipe/cam just to get the expensive stuff out of the way.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Nah, not a bolt on. It'll be okay with a built valve body.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Assuming you have 3.23's, you won't notice much of a difference jumping up to 3.73s. To get your money out of re-gearing, you should do 4.10s.

I'm not quite sure why you want to swap gears though... since it's just your daily driver. It's kind of an expensive mod. :think:
you're crazy...there's a HUGE difference between 3.23's and 3.73's...I had 3.23's in my last truck (ECSB) and then went to 4.10's. Huge difference. My new truck has 3.73's and there is little to no difference between my 4.10's and my 3.73's

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There cant be a "Huge Difference"... its math.. the numbers are decently close... now I will tell you what a huge difference is... Try going from 37's with stock 3.73's up to a 5.13 Gear! Now there is a "Huge Difference!" Thats what i just experienced... Now I can burn my 37" toyos - both of them - for about 3 feet on dry pavement... and before? Well, nothing, you see.... 1st gear used to run all the way to 54 mph untill it shifted to second at redline! Now its about 35! Thats a "Huge Difference!"

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
There cant be a "Huge Difference"... its math.. the numbers are decently close... now I will tell you what a huge difference is... Try going from 37's with stock 3.73's up to a 5.13 Gear! Now there is a "Huge Difference!" Thats what i just experienced... Now I can burn my 37" toyos - both of them - for about 3 feet on dry pavement... and before? Well, nothing, you see.... 1st gear used to run all the way to 54 mph untill it shifted to second at redline! Now its about 35! Thats a "Huge Difference!"

Different situation. You NEEDED the gear to get the truck to even move out of its own way.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yeah that is true.. i think i forgot i was over in the performance section vs offroad, cause i was thinkin he was gonna do tires or something... silly me

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
yeah that is true.. i think i forgot i was over in the performance section vs offroad, cause i was thinkin he was gonna do tires or something... silly me

:rofl2: it's mkay. We forgive you. :gayfight:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts