GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. Just found this site and it looks like the best one on the web. I just bought a 2006 tahoe. I want a 3 inch body lift and possibly TT with the ford keys. It only has 29K miles on it and the original owner has a 100k mile extended warranty. Is it always on a dealer by dealer basis if a lift will void your warranty? I have always had lifted trucks but they were never under warranty. I was thinking of running 33's. Any one have any info? Anyone running this combo? Please post your picks I would love to see some lifted chevy's. Thx all...:D

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought, but some people had said differently. I agree not sure how anyone would prove that the body lift would have anything to do with the engine/tranny problems. THX for the info. Anyone have any lifted photos they don't mind posting? :uhoh:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
They WILL use that if there are tranny problems and they WILL win because it is a matter of physics causing more stress on the driveline.
This is a 100% true statement. I didnt even have my shit lifted and was denied warranty due to over sized tires. It sucked to the tune of a ~$450 dealer only CV Shaft.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
This is a 100% true statement. I didnt even have my shit lifted and was denied warranty due to over sized tires. It sucked to the tune of a ~$450 dealer only CV Shaft.
maybe invest 200 bucks in a spare set of rims and tires to roll to the dealer

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will that work? I was thinking of buying new rims anyway. So if i have any problems with the tranny just put the stock tires on before I roll it to the dealership?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
maybe invest 200 bucks in a spare set of rims and tires to roll to the dealer
Would have been hard to find a set of $200 cheapo 17's. I had plans to go SFA with it but i ended up getting sent to Germany. I have since bought a $1000 4x4 beater to trail ride with when i get back to the States.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
Will that work? I was thinking of buying new rims anyway. So if i have any problems with the tranny just put the stock tires on before I roll it to the dealership?
sure thats what id do, not sure if it would work since its lifted though could always try

kyle-what kind of beater did you get?

I forgot that dodges have 17s sucks, maybe get some old steelies from a junkyard

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
sure thats what id do, not sure if it would work since its lifted though could always try

kyle-what kind of beater did you get?

I forgot that dodges have 17s sucks, maybe get some old steelies from a junkyard
Steelies from a junk yard usually arnt 17s, lol.

dDIO5ss1J5FlLccLpOBtfTzUFLm2.gif

cV0hjmY2oF1E4iG6zNbXJBIcvoy3.gif

VjXgApIYJP4EN8vUyOFrqWMEP0KW.gif

AulM56RtSKxo5wKnVPVmc1xG3AjJ.gif

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
And take the BL off, you role up on 265s with a BL on it, its going to be obvious you were running bigger tires, there are many ways to catch you. The trick is finding a "nice" dealership. My buddy has an 02 rcsb Z71 with full bolt ons lt headers, heads cam and an LS6 intake and he still gets warranty work on his drivetrain, they replaced his flexplate after he screwed it up.:LOL: Find a good dealer and you will be fine.:read:

·
|=====TK=====|
523 Posts
1Slow is correct - it will all depend on the dealership as to what they are willing to do. However, read the fine print of the extended warranty. I bought an extended warranty when I purchased my truck, and a few months later I decided I should read the entire warranty to see what is covered. It basically stated that any alterations to the vehicle were grounds for voiding the extended warranty. I cancelled the extended warranty and got a pro-rated refund.

Since then I've been back to the dealership for multiple warranty issues. Anything related to suspension they refuse to cover, and I don't blame them. That stuff I take care of myself. But the problem with the intermediate steering shaft they will still cover. Like some others have mentioned, I really doubt they would cover any trans problems I have.

After all I've done, I would say that if you decide to lift your truck find a friendly dealer but be aware that certain things may not be covered.
-TK

·
|=====TK=====|
523 Posts
But does a lift cause more stress than towing at or near the truck's towing capacity?
Not the lift itself, but the bigger tires do. However, it seems to be a crap shoot. Most people, whether 1/2 or 3/4 ton, will likely not have any problems. However, there are those exceptions to the rule. I wouldn't be convinced it's all about the tires causing the premature failure, but it will give the dealer something to blame. Heck, I've seen a 60e trans go bad at just over 60k miles with no towing and no big tires. Stuff happens, just be aware the dealer *may* use your lift and tires as an excuse.

As for directly answering your question, I highly doubt the bigger tires (within reason) will cause more stress than towing, but most folks don't tow every day and bigger tires will add additional stress every day.
-TK

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the info. So it does just seem that it is dealer specific. :nono: THX again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts