GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired sort of..
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my 1990 GMC 30 yrs ago this month. I had special ordered it back in DEC of 89 and when it arrived Feb 7th I took it to my shop and tore it completely apart to modify and paint it the way I wanted it to be (the same as it sits today). It's been shown at nationals events, local shows, run in the sand, mud, and hauled numerous other vehicles around accumulating 80k miles on it. before being relegated to the barn with the birds and other vehicles I rarely drive any more due to playing with newer toys I had built.

A couple weeks ago my son talked me into bringing it out, cleaning it and going to the 2020 WORLD OF WHEELS in KC, MO. It hadn't been cleaned up in quite some time as I'd only been going to cruise nights with it, then it sat in the barn with the birds. After spending a week and a half deep cleaning and polishing it, we took both my GMC an his 69 Mustang Mach 1 to the show.

The truck cleaned up well and both vehicles received a lot of attention throughout the show. When it came down to the awards my Son's Mustang got 4th in it's class amoungst a slew of Chevelle's and a Firebird, and he also received the Outstanding paint in the Rising star class for youth 25 and under (not bad for a 21 year old). He was quite happy with that. We waited for my class to be up and and listened through the long list of class winners in the 4x4 trucks. After 12 vehiclescalled, we hear nothing thinking well maybe it's not as good as it use to be. Then they got to 3rd, and 2nd, still nothing, just as I was ready to admit it wasn't quite good enough, they called out my name and the 1990 GMC for 1st place in the 4x4 truck class. What a relief it was to hear it called up as the best in it's class once again after 30 years.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/CXTZTIL.jpg[/img]']

Now it's back in the barn till spring or when ever I feel like taking it out again.

·
Retired sort of..
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome. Do all your cars have sequential license plates?
All my hobbiest builds have the same number but sequential letters behind them. They have regulations for these plates. The 1st being it must be at least 20 yrs old, 2nd must be modified from stock, and 3rd main regulation is it can not be driven during the month of Jan. There's a few more restrictions, but they are minor.

·
Retired sort of..
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's sweet. Odd that they cant get driven in January
They need to put something in there to deter daily driven vehicles from getting them as these plates are also a one time payment equal to 2 years registration and never expire. You must also have one registered daily driven vehicle per driver of the houshold.

Besides with all the crap they put on the roads up here in WI during January, it's not a good idea to drive them during that time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah I know Maryland's historic plates require 20 years, and you cannot use it for Daily use. So you need to have a normal registered vehicle as well to qualify. You can only drive it on weekends, or going to a "car show event". No inspection, No emissions.

Alot of people abuse it, so they're trying to change it to require emissions and inspections this year..

·
Retired sort of..
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,243 Posts
Yeah I know Maryland's historic plates require 20 years, and you cannot use it for Daily use. So you need to have a normal registered vehicle as well to qualify. You can only drive it on weekends, or going to a "car show event". No inspection, No emissions.

Alot of people abuse it, so they're trying to change it to require emissions and inspections this year..
Collector and hobbiest is 20 years only thing really is that you can't use it in January. They are trying to change it.

Basically allows you to not have to re-register it each year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts