GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I give the truck gas hard, it is hesitant and it also is sometimes on takeoff. The engine is brand new, but the throttle body has a little over 200,000 miles on it. The check engine light isn't on. Do I need a rebuilt TB?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
woah. when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

either way, a TBI unit with 200K w/stock sensors... yeah I'd say time to replace stuff. The unit itself is fine most likely, i'd take it off and give it a good cleaning and rebuild... the IAC and TPS may be out of whack.

good read

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/tbi.html

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,650 Posts
Like matt said it needs some TLC, But i had the same type of problem just before my fuel pump went out.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Man...I remember when we swapped Bessie's old engine out at about 220k. That TB was disgusting. I don't know what all the little passageways inside a TB are for exactly, I've never taken the trouble to learn...but most of 'em were completely choked with buildup of some kind. I don't remember if we swapped any of the pieces out or just put it all back together once it was clean.

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Man, that was a good read. I should probably get around to replacing some of that stuff...my idle blows right now.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It could be damn near anything. I'd check the ignition first, and just do a tune up.

Rebuilding the tbi couldn't hurt, but I doubt its causing your problems. The kit's only $27, so you might as well do it. :imo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts