GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95' with the 5.7 350. I recently acquired a 90' complete truck with a 454. I plan on doing an engine swap. I'm wondering if the the ECM and throttle body from the 5.7 will run the 454? I'm not looking for big power, just reliable and smooth running. Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
it should run, but not well until you get a chip from a 454 vehicle.

I also believe the 95 5.7 ran the oddball version of the 4l60E. You might find it easier to swap engine and transmission and the PCM then figure out the wiring differences.

The problems as I see them though.
The 95 tranny is odd and a 4l60 won't handle a 454 for too long, especially an old 4l60. You can change the internal electrics for the 96 model and resolve that issue from what I have heard though...
The 90 tranny won't have overdrive.

There are still guys on Gearhead-efi.com that will burn you a chip for a reasonable price, hell you might even find one that you could send your PCM to and they will install a chip that has a stock 454 tune that can also run that tranny.

To be honest though, what I would do is find a '91-'95 truck that has a 454 and 4l80, grab the wiring harness, tranny and a couple small things (driveshaft, tranny cooler lines rear crossmember etc) and that way you will end up with your 454 and a tranny strong enough to handle it. It sounds like this option is more work, but I bet it would end up being easier in the long run.

Or sell the 90 truck and buy a better 350. The 90 454 isn't that powerful anyway.

Let me know which way you choose to go and I'll point you in the direction that should help the most.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I got the 90' complete...engine, tranny, everything. I'm not concerned about more power, the mild 350 in the truck now has plenty. I just want a well running big block in the truck. It's a weekend cruiser/ shop truck. Going for the cool factor. Most important thing is that it's reliable and runs smoothly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Totally get that, I swapped a 91 drivetrain 454,4l80 2wd into an 85 c10. I kept all of the fuel injection system as well. I still think it is one of the more fun projects I have done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably end doing the whole thing, probably just makes more sense. Nothing kool is ever easy. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts