GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How crazy would you have to be to try this combo. I really want to get some 35s...I don't plan on off roading much when I get bigger tires...but will this kill my tranny if i did run 35s and only 3.08 gears? My tranny has already been rebuilt before i bought the truck, and don't want to have to worry about doing that again. I know it will be SLOW...but i would like to keep my tranny. Should I just stick to gettin 33s or chance it with 35s? I know it would be alright if i had 3.42s...but i can't afford to get it regeared (and would rather rebuild a 14 bolt for the rear anyways and put 4.88s in it...)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I can't stand to run my 35"s with 3.73 gears. It sucks, tranny runs a little warmer than I would like but it will get the job done.
With 3.08's seems like it would be a lot of stress.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I don't think i would do 3.08's. Heck, I would be concerned with 3.42's, but thats pr obably related more to the number of miles on my tranny.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be able to score me some used 33s for cheap...and run them for a while longer...then buy a used 14 bolt with any better gears for cheaper, maybe regear the 10 bolt in the front, and run 35s. hopefully I can find a 14 bolt with 4:11s.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to wait a lil while...but since I don't know if ill be able to get 10K miles out of the 33s i might be gettin for cheap (or hopefully nothing) ill be able to put some lift on it. Once agian, im just tossing around ideas...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have 4.11's on my 35" tires and that is just about right for my K5. My friend had a stock 89 K5 on 33's and it has 3.42's and it has a hard time with the 33's. I wouldn't go for the 35's until you get more gears man.

·
Banned
487 Posts
im guna run 35's on 3.73 gears... i aint scared.. take it easy on the road, and put it in 4lo off-road and you'll be fine. The spunky little 400 helps too :anitoof:

:bowtie:

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i can come across some one ton axels with even 3.73s ill run 35s...is that the highest axel gear for one tons???

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Your gonna cook your tranny.....if you do this than get a huge friggin cooler. That trans is gonna be working so hard it won't take long to damage it...even with a nice cooler.

Cameron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts