GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your tire recommendations for a 36" tire on a 16x12? I want a good sand tire but throw all suggestions at me.
I'm still bitter about the amount of tires for a 16.5 rim. Wish they had the damn safety lip so I could get them :flame:

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
zubyc said:
What are your tire recommendations for a 36" tire on a 16x12? I want a good sand tire but throw all suggestions at me.
I'm still bitter about the amount of tires for a 16.5 rim. Wish they had the damn safety lip so I could get them :flame:
If you want good sand performance, the Super Swamper STS's come in a 36X14.50R16 size and would look sweet on a 16X12 rim. Plus its a radial so you'll get a good ride as well as good wear. I run Cepek Fun Country's but they don't make them in Radials anymore, but they are a great sand tire. Hope this helps..:D

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm planning on getting right now but are there any other suggestions? I want a 16x12 because I like the wider look and tires just look better when they are mounted on 12" wide rim. Makes it sound like my truck will be a street queen but oh well, I know otherwise.

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
i hear ya on the 16.5" rims....right now i'm runniing 16.5x 12's, i plan on running 17x10's when my money tree starts sprounting. the trxus are a pretty bad ass tire for sand.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I know that it does put less stress on things but I'll take my chances. If it becomes too much of a PITA I'll switch to 16x10

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked at the Mickey Thompson website and found something that caught my eye...the new radial baja claw in 36x15.5. My friend had them in 35s and they were great in sand. Anyone else have any experience with them?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Only thing that has been posted is short tread life on the highway... I personally love the look of the tire and had a buddy with a bronco on the 33's and they were big for 33's... He didnt drive much so his lasted forever...

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I love the way they look and the bias are even better but none in that size or close to it

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Angry Samoan said:
Stick w/ a 16x10 rim, the super swamper sts do excellent in the sand.
I definaatly agree here. The STS are very good in the sand and on the road. If lost of mud isnt in your future go with the STS. The 12" wide rims really put ALOT more strain on your ifs steering componets. Big D runs 12" wide rims and stripped a tie rod out. Im not saying its the only reason he did but my guess would be it played a role in it. He has the much stronger HD ifs also. I know they look cool but I would really stick to the 10" rim, the 14.5" wide STS still look very wide on them. Lots of people run this combo and are very happy with it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
I ran the 36-14.50 STS swapers and loved them... They will work great in the sand... And they was wearing like iron also...

Man...they showed no wear after you had em a couple a weeks! :anitoof:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I put more miles on them then I thought prolly... Not like it was alot of miles though, but i drive 100 miles plus a day atleast 5 days a week... But 1BadHD bought a new one for a spare and he said he couldnt tell a difference at all... So I would say they was doing good... :anitoof:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
I put more miles on them then I thought prolly... Not like it was alot of miles though, but i drive 100 miles plus a day atleast 5 days a week... But 1BadHD bought a new one for a spare and he said he couldnt tell a difference at all... So I would say they was doing good... :anitoof:
The 36x14.50 is PLENTY WIDE on 10" wide rims. Trust me. :anitoof:

·
Registered
832 Posts
On Kyles they dont stick out like that at all(has higher BS)! If you do go with 10 inch wide rims go with a low BS and they will stick out like 1bads.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts