GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys think my 10 bolt will live with 36s, 4.56s, and a eaton posi or detriot in it.

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
I think that 36's should be alright, but that is the max that i would push it, the 10 bolt in stronger than the IFS and the IFS is safe with 36's so i dont see why not?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Depends on your driving.

If it stays on the pavement then you should be fine.
If it gets dirty, and you push it you run the risk of breaking it.

People do it everyday.. I say run it till it breaks then get something stronger:anitoof:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
if you drive it smart yeah it will be fine. The G80 is the typical weak point. The NBS ones are stronger than the old ones though. Not bullet proof though. I didnt post this but this past weekend I blew my g80 to bits (NBS one). I was very very lucky and didnt destroy my gears when it happened (was going very slow and I stopped right away and teh parts settled out of the gears). I have 35s and do drive it hard, and its been acting weird. I was just pulling out of my lawn (yes im a redneck and park in my lawn - dad hates it!) and BOOM. Anyways part is with the g80 gone you will be MUCH better off.

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
Sevenfold said:
People don't give the 10 bolt enough credit. You will be fine with 36s. EWogy is running 40s and he hasn't had any problems.
yeh true, but aint his truck just a show truck, 10 bolt, 40's and mudding, wouldnt be a pretty site

·
6,656 Posts
I gave it to much credit. I figured it would last with my 35s. I was wrong.

·
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if i drive with a heavy right foot then i better upgrade. so would i be fine with a semi float 14 bolt and detriot or should i find a full float.

·
2,451 Posts
yea, vhato broke his g80 a couple months ago so he just put an auburn in.

Sevenfold, didnt you say vthat chevycaddy blew his 10 bolt?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
...The G80 is the typical weak point...
Sevenfold said:
People don't give the 10 bolt enough credit...
True and true. I've been running 36s for a while now and no problems. I've done some light/moderate offroading with no problems but I did replace the G80 with an Eaton Pro LSD when I swapped out the gears.

·
2,451 Posts
bui think his car domain said he also had a blower and some spray.

maybe ewogy will chime in. he has been in soome battles on the other site

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
mines holding up, same tires as DE before, and now 36's, actually i'm kinda wanting it to blow so i can get new gears faster..

·
Banned
487 Posts
i wouldnt trust a 10 bolt as far as i could throw it.... i blew one out with 31's and a weak 350sb, 3.73 gears

but then again, i'v broke a 14b too. :whip:

·
6,656 Posts
Sevenfold said:
G80...

He mentioned he was going to have a detroit or eaton installed. I don't see that as a problem.
Yes I know and that helps things alot, I said that in my first post. If you get rid of the g80 you will probably be just fine unless you drive like a bat out of hell 95% of the time!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just to throw it in the mix. My 10b went out the first time with stock tires... 265x75R16... on pavement... turning into my driveway...

10 bolts don't DESERVE any credit. You gotta baby it if you want it to stay together....

·
6,656 Posts
Notice all of the ones going out except mine are on OBS, its the design on the G80, im telling you it SUCKS. The new ones are better, but a far cry from good.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The new ten bolts (NBS) are better than the older ones as well as the G80, but Uner serious offroading i wouldn't keep it in there. If your'e just mostly a street queen with moderatte wheeling on the weekends then its great. However, if you want to get into mud as deep as the door seals and rock crawling or any real aggressive offroading then i would roll it till i blew it and then go for a 14.

·
Banned
487 Posts
lol my uncle larry was just over he picked a horse up i bought and brough tit her in his stock trailer, hes been driving hisjeep lately cause the 10 bolt went out on his 2002 s-10 with 37,000 miles on it!

·
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would a Ta axle gerdall help in the strength department. and with a sf 14 bolt what would be the cheapest way to convert it to 6 lug. and what kinds of traction units are avalible for a sf 14 bolt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts