GMC Truck Forum banner

36s and a 10 bolt

1648 Views 28 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Aquaman
do you guys think my 10 bolt will live with 36s, 4.56s, and a eaton posi or detriot in it.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· [>
4,576 Posts
Depends on your driving.

If it stays on the pavement then you should be fine.
If it gets dirty, and you push it you run the risk of breaking it.

People do it everyday.. I say run it till it breaks then get something stronger:anitoof:

· Drive It Like Ya Stole It
7,517 Posts
if you drive it smart yeah it will be fine. The G80 is the typical weak point. The NBS ones are stronger than the old ones though. Not bullet proof though. I didnt post this but this past weekend I blew my g80 to bits (NBS one). I was very very lucky and didnt destroy my gears when it happened (was going very slow and I stopped right away and teh parts settled out of the gears). I have 35s and do drive it hard, and its been acting weird. I was just pulling out of my lawn (yes im a ******* and park in my lawn - dad hates it!) and BOOM. Anyways part is with the g80 gone you will be MUCH better off.

· Kyle
3,472 Posts
mines holding up, same tires as DE before, and now 36's, actually i'm kinda wanting it to blow so i can get new gears faster..

· Drive It Like Ya Stole It
7,517 Posts
Sevenfold said:
G80...

He mentioned he was going to have a detroit or eaton installed. I don't see that as a problem.
Yes I know and that helps things alot, I said that in my first post. If you get rid of the g80 you will probably be just fine unless you drive like a bat out of hell 95% of the time!

· Registered
178 Posts
Just to throw it in the mix. My 10b went out the first time with stock tires... 265x75R16... on pavement... turning into my driveway...

10 bolts don't DESERVE any credit. You gotta baby it if you want it to stay together....

· Registered
1,746 Posts
The new ten bolts (NBS) are better than the older ones as well as the G80, but Uner serious offroading i wouldn't keep it in there. If your'e just mostly a street queen with moderatte wheeling on the weekends then its great. However, if you want to get into mud as deep as the door seals and rock crawling or any real aggressive offroading then i would roll it till i blew it and then go for a 14.

· heavy on the skinny pedal
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would a Ta axle gerdall help in the strength department. and with a sf 14 bolt what would be the cheapest way to convert it to 6 lug. and what kinds of traction units are avalible for a sf 14 bolt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.