GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ufookinwotm8
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2007 Silverado Classic. 4.3 V6 (I know) and 4 speed auto transmission. I've noticed that this truck downshifts a lot. It will downshift on the smallest of inclines and won't pick up speed unless I downshift 2 gears.

I was wondering if this is just due to the engine being a pile of dookie with under 200 horses, or if it's a transmission problem.

I was thinking if getting a 5.3 Silverado would fix this problem? This truck is practically worthless, so instead of performance add-ons, may as well just get a new truck. I can easily transfer rims, audio, and lighting to the new truck. To my way of thinking it would cost about the same to buy a 5.3 single or extended cab as it would to FI what I have now,

What are everyone's thoughts?

·
"The Man"
229 Posts
i have an 06 that had the 4.3, but i had a 5 speed manual. My truck was sluggish as well, but i also had a little lift with some 33x12.50 tires on it lol. I bought a 5.3 motor and swapped it into the truck. It was a Pretty straight forward swap. Also my neighbor has two single cab 02s with the 4.3. One with an auto, and one with a 5 speed. both are 2wd with factory tires. We ended up putting a full k&n intake, gibson catback exhaust, and a hypertech programmer in it and youd be suprised the difference it made. Cant recall which gears he has in it though, i know mine came with 3.73s from the factory but his may of had 3.42s.

Whats the info on your truck? single cab? 2wd? know which gears?

·
ufookinwotm8
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about swapping a 5.3 into my truck. But I heard it was a really complicated swap. I was told that you have to modify the frame to fit the engine mounts of the 5.3. I really don't even know what's involved in the swap besides the obvious engine and electronics.

I've been looking for a programmer for my truck, but I haven't been able to find one for my truck, and like I said I don't know if it's even worth to invest in performance mods.

But my truck is a 2007 Silverado Classic RCSB 2wd. I honestly don't know the gear setup. I believe it has the towing package on it, but I'm not sure. It's just a work truck, so I always assume it has the lowest of everything, so most likely 3.42 gears.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
Your problem most definitely is the 4.3. Bigger wheels/tires won't help anything either. and i would skip all the programmer stuff IMO.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
You would be better off putting any money you would put into mods for the 4.3 aside for a 5.3 or 4.8 swap.

There is so much info on this swap on the internet. Spend some time looking into it.

·
ufookinwotm8
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point it's looking like I may end up selling the trok and getting a car due to circumstances. We'll see what happens.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
lol

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
In the course of a day we went from possibly getting new truck with 5.3, to swapping a 5.3, to "Nope gotta get a car"

Guess her being "late" wasn't really just a scare eh?

·
ufookinwotm8
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I didn't mention it earlier, but I've been trying to get a car for over a year now. I had the intention of keeping the truck, and doing the engine swap and bagging it some time down the road when I was done with school and had a stable job. I don't owe anything on the truck. So that's why I was thinking of getting a car and keeping the truck.

But ya know, college is kinda expensive and now that I have the chance to get a car, the truck will have to go. I have so much shit in it it woulda just gotten jacked anyways. I asked about the swap because I didn't think I would find a car before school started and I wanted to see what I could do to possibly fix the issue.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
You aint lying. School is expensive as fuck.

·
ufookinwotm8
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yissir. Almost 20k a year for me. And I'm gonna be there 5 and a half years, so do the math. So I wouldn't mind chopping my gas bill by 3/4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts