GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that I could buy to get better MPG?

What is a worth while modification? If it's a $400 part for small gains I don't really know if that is worth it.

I'm just trying to get some ideas.

Also the truck is a '06.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i dont know what a tune would do for it because its a v6 but from nelson performance tunes for
v6 trucks is $325 i think...dont know what it would do for your 6 cilinder but i have a 5.3l and it helped like 2-3mpg!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Keeping your foot out of it. Mine varies on driving habbits a ton. Ive pulled over 23 on the highway before. Ive also netted an awesome 12 in the city.

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying my best to keep it below 2k rpms.

I have auto

I find myself letting off the gas early to make the tranny shift and then gassing and then letting off until I'm up to speed.

Does it make any real difference to drive in 3 around town?

I'm not sure if $325 is worth a 2-3 mpg increase.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I'm not sure if $325 is worth a 2-3 mpg increase.
Depends how much you drive. Getting 3 mpg extra saves you about $8 per tank. One tank=about 400 miles

325/8=40.625 so you'd have to drive for 16,000 miles before the tune paid for itself.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
eh, inflate the tires a bit extra, especially in the winter. below 40mph, windows, above 40 mph AC (if you need). i read that shifting into neutral at long lights helps but i checked it out and i dont notice any rpm drop when i do that. you can get tunes for much less than $325. post asking for someone who lives near you with tuning software that can lean you out some. or there are cheaper mail order tunes like wait4me. caps/tonneau covers over the bed helps but not worth the money if you are ONLY getting it for gas mileage. ummm, tailgate up, not down...any weight reduction will help (100lbs added = 4% drop in fuel economy). also track your mileage, even if you are filling up 87 octane no matter where you go, the quality of gas changes from station to station. ive noticed BP and Shell are pretty good around here. stat away from the gimicks...some people say intake/exhaust helps...i got a better flowing muffler but did not notice any change at all. i guess just tons of small stuff that all adds up

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
400 mi per tank!!! ...i get about 330 if i fill when the E light comes on :(

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
400 mi per tank!!! ...i get about 330 if i fill when the E light comes on :(
That sucks to be you. The most I've ever gotten was 480 on 24.5 gallons. I average right around 400 with my cam.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
all of you suck i get about 250mil out of a 25gallon tank drining at 65mph
i aver. about 11.8 mpg

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
all of you suck i get about 250mil out of a 25gallon tank drining at 65mph
i aver. about 11.8 mpg
damn that's bad.

Mine is all highway but my speed ranges from 65-120 mph. Most often it's right around 85-90

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
10-12 mpg here....I don't wonder why though.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea my buddy and I calculated that after 15k miles the tune would pay for itself.

How can I get a tune and still stay under warranty?

Right now I have 420 lbs of sand in the bed because of the winter.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
does anyone else think he should consider getting a tune cheaper than Nelson? i think this because he is only worried about saving gas and i would think the tune would be extremely similar no matter who it came from.

warantee, i dont believe a tune will affect it. if you ever bring your truck in for servicing, you can always reset the stock tune. for around $150 wait4me will send you a new pcm with a tune on it and you keep your stock pcm (someone correct me if im wrong, i decided to go the predator route)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Mark, did your cam help your gas mileage? from what i gather about them (which is only from reading yours and some others peoples posts lately), it seems that it moves your power band up so i could see how it helped your hwy mileage since you drive fast. but if you drove mostly 'city' like me, it would probably hurt it. what you think?

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not going to have the time to wait on the mail to get a stock pcm if i ever need to take my truck in for service.

Maybe If I had a 2nd pcm or I could just buy a handheld.

I'm not looking for any power altho it would be nice, but I'm just trying to get better mileage.

If I go handheld route what is the best one?

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you want a cheaper tune that a lot of people have been happy with... http://www.gowheatley.com/. Very good customer service. Lots of people on Chevy Truck World have used him and been very happy. And he could work with you on how to deal with PCM through the mail vs. getting warranty work and such.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts