GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
working on a 2000 silverado. go alot of mods going into this guy. one thing were not sure what to do is gears. it has 3.23's stock and has the stock 31.5" tires. alos has a nv3500 5spd. this is all in a ext cab 2wd truck. since the cam swap the truck kinda lugs pretty bad beloew 2000rpm and it seems like 4.30's would be a nice gear to get it moving. we will be installing the detroit locker to go with them.

what do you guys think? 4.10's or 4.30's?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no were good. the cost of gears versus the cost of that, well i'll take the gears. this motor is pretty sick as it is. 15-20 psi 4.3l turbo motor i think will suffice. its got a mpt70 turbo. it runs really really well. we just don't like the take off. do you have 3.23's with your V8? i bet not. so now lets get back to the question of 4.10's or 4.30's. i've been reading all night and that's how i found out they even made 4.30's. now just trying to decide what to go with between the two.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
the difference between the two is minimal...go low and get 4.30s

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, thats kinda what we were thinking. i found a gear calculator and it looks like about 100 rpm difference at 70mph in 5th gear. 2333rpm at 70. we were kinda wondering about if it would kill milage any, but it seem like the motor kinda strugles below the cam rpm range, 2000 rpm. so it seems like the 4.30's would keep it out of the low rpm area more and make it work in its effective rpm better. and when i say cam rpm range i mean where the cam valve events and the motor start to work together in harmony. below that the motor will grunt its stuff, but you can tell its not getting along with its other parts. hope that makes since, its hard to explain with out driving it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Also depends on the OD ratio of that five speed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.729 5th gear

we were also wondering about strength of the 4.30's vs the 4.10's. this will be installed on a detroit locker with TA rear girdle. will they be able to hold 600ftlb or so with 3000 rpm launches from time to time?

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
where do you get 4.30s?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Put a stall in it:crazy:

I would go with the 4.30s.. That should help it a good bit on the low end... There's not enough difference in the 4.10-4.30 so I would go with them
hmmm high stall in a 5spd, don't think it will work too well. :crazy: it does have a nice spec clutch rated to hold 700+ftlb fly wheel torque.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts