GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking every where and i cant seem to find alot of engine mods for a
4.3L V6. I was wondering if it was possible to turbo a 4.3Lv6 engine. Im gonna tune it to see what i get out of it. I've also been seeing alot of sts turbos going into silverados but they only offer them to the bigger engines. any help or advice would be greatlly appreciated. thanks.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Everyone is going to tell you the same thing - It will be less money and work to drop in a 6.0L

Please don't say you want to Turbo a V6 because it's different and unique. :rolleyes: It's a 6 cylinder dude. It's an economy motor.

www.car-part.com find a local, low mileage 6.0L LQ4 and enjoy 2 extra cylinders.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
You can turbo anything with some work. My bud put a turbo on his Dixi Chopper mower just for the hell of it. It works too. Hell, he even sprayed it.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
2k into a setup that makes slightly more torque and less horse power than a stock 6.0

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
ive run these numbers up and down, left and right, its honestly not worth it to do any power mods to the 4.3. If you have no mechanical aptitude, buy the wynjammer kit because nearly any tard could install that.

If you can turn a wrench, cruise ebay for a complete 6.0 and bolt it in,

If i still want to keep my truck when it hits 36k miles, ill be swapping the 6.0, if I can financially i may get a diesel. but im only 18k miles away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Back when i had my s10 i looked into doing this but the amount of work to do it isnt worth it. Back on s10fourms.com there was some members who had made some turbo kits for 4.3's and there was even one twin turbo so it can be done.

Even if you do mount a turbo you cant run much boost unless you put aftermarket internals in it and theres not alot of aftermarket support for 4.3's as well there dogs of an engine. Dont waste your time on a 4.3 its alot easier to buy a wynjammer supercharger, used pro charger or i have seen people use ford thunderbird superchargers from the early 90's but again its alot of work.

Spend the money and buy the wynjammer or better yet buy a v8. Here basicly how to build a 4.3 turbo if you want to go through with it.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f11/built-4-3-turbo-underway-pics-will-talk-289191/

·
Registered
366 Posts
STS will custom size a turbo for you V-6, but you'll be limited on boost becouse of you intake. You can do the marine MPFI deal, but you'll end up spending way more money to get ready for a turbo then you would spend on a 4.8 or 5.3 swap. Or about the same on 6.0 swap.

Yeah I know a turbo V-6 is cool, and no one is running them. But dollar per HP is not going to add up to good for you.

So I would rock the V-6 for a couple of years
get your truck lowered
rims if you want
tonneau
use spectre parts to get a CAI
add a peformance muffler with turn down cheap HP
4.11 gears are a must with any motor, and a 4.3 will love them more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got the truck and i wanted to lift atleast 3 or 4 inches maybe put some 32inch allterrians so im thinking its gonna struggle more with the tires on their right? thats why i wanted to know if i could turbo it or not. I think im just gonna get some headers,tune-it,gears and a exhaust. thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
my truck has 33" tires, 20" rims a v6 and 3.23 rear gears. Ive driven it this way for over 12k miles, it is slow off the line, and doesn't like hills on the highway but its fine, you don't need a turbo to compensate for 32's

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
k&n air filter, thats it.

Im going to get a tune when I get gears, just because you sort of have to.

Other than that its stock, but yeah forget the turbo, if you don't want to do the swap get the wynjammer.

what year is your truck?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts