GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, getting ready to do gears. Running 35's right now, planning on 4.56's. I am on the fence about adding a 3" body lift and 37's in the future. I know with 37's you should go 4.88's, but also going to put a STS turbo on my 5.3L. What do you guys think of 37's with a Turbo'd motor and the 4.56's.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
I have 38s and the 4.56's and it's a real nice setup in my opinion. I think a 4.88 with that turbo would be perfect because mine could use a little, I mean a little more jump from the line so a 4.88 with 37s would be awesome. What tranny are you going to run?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Get the 4.88s. And I wouldn't base your decision on the fact that you're getting a turbo. I would base it on your tire size and driving habbits. Of course, that doesn't mean you should get 4.88s if you're going to be doing 1/4 miles on the weekend. It depends on what you want out of the truck.

I ran 4.88s with 315's that actually measured out to about 33.5" tall. As long as you keep it at 70mph on the highway, you won't get crappy mileage. I was consistently getting around 15 highway and 12.5 in town with 35's and 4.88s.

If I remember correctly, I was around 2250 RPMs going 65mph. About 2300 RPMs going 70.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
If I could do it over(and I might still) I would run 5.13's with my 38s and then a turbo

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If I could do it over again, I'd get a 1-ton, stick with 37's, and get a fancy tune.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
If I could do it over again, I'd get a 1-ton, stick with 37's, and get a fancy tune.
Very true man! With the finest rims out there!:head: :evil:

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Those 44s were a burden on me bad man! I am enjoying the hell out of my truck now man! I guess there is a happy medium in there somewhere. I was even thinking of next time around on tires, taking off the body lift and running 37 claw radials and 18x12 cheyenne's.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Those 44s were a burden on me bad man! I am enjoying the hell out of my truck now man! I guess there is a happy medium in there somewhere. I was even thinking of next time around on tires, taking off the body lift and running 37 claw radials and 18x12 cheyenne's.
The 37 claws are nice but you seem to like the wide tire look so you might find them a little skinny. I think they would be awsome if they were 14.5 instead of 13.5 wide.

If I could do it over again I would go a 2500HD duramax on 37-38's

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
I agree. I like wide but not to wide. The perfect tire ever in my opinion would be a 39x15 claw radial or right in that area. My 38s look cool but for the width they are, they could use mabe a little more height to the look.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
only reason I got those 21 wide super shakers were because they were blems for a killer deal. But free swampers would still be a rip off to me. I will never own a set again. That was my 4th set of shakers from them.(my 44s were not balanced so I can't bitch about them, but the other 3 sets were and they were bad)

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Best tire I have ever ridden on was a toyo and nitto mud grappler and both were never balanced and never shook once, even on the interstate.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I have 38s and the 4.56's and it's a real nice setup in my opinion. I think a 4.88 with that turbo would be perfect because mine could use a little, I mean a little more jump from the line so a 4.88 with 37s would be awesome. What tranny are you going to run?
Not trying to be an ass, but why would you run a lower gear with a turbo? Turbos work much better with a taller gear. If anything he should run 4.10's with that turbo. I would run 4.56's and nothing bigger. 4.56's will work great with those tires and still work well with the STS

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
y not a whipple for more low end power instead of the turbo
True, but you can get a shitload more out of a turbo with the right tune(generally speaking of course). It all depends what you plan to use the power for.
Racing- I'd definantly get the turbo hands down
Mudding- Whipple

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I like my 4.56's and 37's right now. Im on the highway a good bit so it serves me well. they measure up at 35.5" so im at 2116 rpms at 70. good enough for me because its still hasr more rpms than it did stock with 31's and 3.42's.
my 2 cents 4.56 highway
4.88 powerful all over burn more gas on highway.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I like my 4.56's and 37's right now. Im on the highway a good bit so it serves me well. they measure up at 35.5" so im at 2116 rpms at 70. good enough for me because its still hasr more rpms than it did stock with 31's and 3.42's.
my 2 cents 4.56 highway
4.88 powerful all over burn more gas on highway.
May burn a little more gas on the freeway, but if you drive in town or offroad it makes up for it. I love 37s with 4.88s.

Edit: Even when I had 36s I loved the 4.88 gears, wasn't overkill at all.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
May burn a little more gas on the freeway, but if you drive in town or offroad it makes up for it. I love 37s with 4.88s.

Edit: Even when I had 36s I loved the 4.88 gears, wasn't overkill at all.
That may be true, but don't forget he's planning on turboing his truck. 4.56's will work good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts