GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I get paid Thursday and I am going to go ahead and do a 4/6 drop, MAYBE 5/7, 5/7 will be somewhat hard to talk my dad into letting me do. But anyways, I already have 2'' spindles and 4'' drop hangers in the back, so my question was DJM or Belltech coils? Im a diehard Belltech fan but here lately I have heard good stories about DJM. The reason I am looking into DJM is b/c the coils are ALOT cheeper, although the flip kit is only $10 more from Belltech. Also is the DJM rear C-Notch a "bolt on" C-Notch, I heard something that you drill the holes, mount it, and then you cut away yourframe. . . Is that true? And if not, how hard is it to do the DJM Flipkit. . . ? Thanks in advance guys. Any input on the drivablilty of a 5/7 drop? Thanks again. :word:

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
IMO the DJM spindles are a little softer than the belltech's are. I've run both, no one better than the other. If you want a stiff spring rate get the BT's...if you'd like something a little stiffer than stock get the DJM's.

Flipkits are really all the same...meaning they require the same work. You need to notch the frame...a sawzall, a plasma cutter, or a oxy torch will do it. It is best to remove the bed to do this. Both the BT and DJM notches are bolt in BUT the BT one wraps the frame. Both are adequate (I've installed both) but many prefer the BT since it wraps the frame.

You have to cut the fraem before the notch goes on...no way to bolt it before cutting.

A 5/7 is bearable on a OBS...I know a few guys running a 6/8. Have fun w/ speedbumps:D

Cameron

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
Cam knows what hes talkin about, so your all set there.

My advice would be to go 5/7 cuz if you dont your gonna want to in a month :read:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I planed on taking the bed off, sooooooo, do I drill holes to bolt up the notch, mount it, mark where I need to cut and then take it off and then cut? The only thing that bothers me is getting everything back square and even. . . Any advice on cutting my frame? Thanks guys

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
The notches come w/ templates to shjow you where you need to drill :D

Cameron

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last question, I have Belltech 4'' lowering shackles and hangers, does anyone have stock hangers and shackles, b/c if not that will put me at 10'' of drop in the rear. . . Or is there a way I can adjust the belltech one, Let me know, Thanks

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
5/7....thats all?? I rode at a 6/8 for 9 months. 5/7 is a sweet drop. Get the belltech coils. I bought DJM 3" coils, and they dropped to 4.5"!!! I had to use ghetto coil spacers to get a 4" drop from them. I'm running spindles combined with springs. Out back, it was stock hangers, a DJM flip kit, and 2" shackles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have stock shackles and hangers? I think I might have to take a trip to the junkyard when I get back from Arizona. So anymore input on the DJM coils? And so theres no way I can run 4/6 with the belltech shackles and hangers? And also, how would you do 5/8 with the lowering shackles and hangers? Thanks again guys, youre helpin out alot! Ill be back on when I get home from work tonight

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You wouldnt need a C-notch, b/c the axle would still be on the bottom side of the leaf. But if im goin to put new leafs on Im better off just doing a flip kit if im goin through all that work. Hey paul, hows the 5/8 sit? does the back sit an inch lower? And if i just end up doing that, should I just go the junkyard to get stock shackles? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yes, you will need a c-notch. The axle is sitting 7" higher than stock. It doesnt matter which side of the leafs the axle is. 7" higher is 7" higher.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh, ic, for some reason I was thinking that the leafs would be inbetween the axle and the frame. I understand now, but if i was goin to put new leafs in Im better off just flipin the rear axle, I dont see why you wouldnt. Hey kyle, in your sig what size tires are those and how low is that roughly?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
xtreme93fullsize said:
The only thing that bothers me is getting everything back square and even. . . Any advice on cutting my frame? Thanks guys
Put a jackstand on the frame on both sides in front of (if you dont have enough, harbor freight has them cheap), and behind where you're notch will be, this will go a long ways to support it. I've seen with some serious notches extra support bars tacked to the frame to keep it squre and level, but that's not really an issue with a bolton.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
He said he didnt have stock shackles/hangers to put back on, so drop leafs would be his best bet if he couldnt find stock hangers. The truck was dropped at 6/8. Now it's 6" in the front, bagged out back. dunlop sport 8000 265/35/20's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts