GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
why jonny ringo...
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any horror stories from installing a djm 4/6 with uca's into nbs truck?, 10th of july is when i'll be doing mine. I thought if i heard some bad stories, i could at least try to prepare for it, i.e. special tools etc. Also, do you have to pull the bed to do the flip kit, or is it just more convenient
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
I would love to hear some of these horror stories also i'm about to help a friend of mine install a 4/6 on his 03 in a couple weeks so and tips would help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
I've had 2" control arms and 4" control arms with no problem, and my brother has had 4" control arms with bags with no problems, and he currently removed the bags and sold it to my dad, and he put a 5/7 DJM kit on and has no problems with it, and he drives it everywhere.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
I installed a DJM LCA/flip kit on blue02s truck this past weekend. The LCAs are easy, just take a bit of time. You dont need to take teh bed off for the flip kit, I dont even really think it would make itmuch easier honestly. Just get a good 1/2" drill bit, something to cut the frame with and some patients. A coild spring compressor would be nice but isnt nessisary, you can use a jack under the LCA to recompress them.
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
I didn't take off my bed to do mine, but alot of people do. Just gives you more room to work with.

The front LCA's are pretty easy. Breaking the balljoint loose is the hardest part by far. Just beat it until it seperates though, and be careful while the spring is still compressed.

The back's biggest problem is the bolt on the front of the leaf spring on the driver side. You will have to cut it off and get a new one, or drop the gas tank to remove it.

Everything else in the install is pretty straight forward and if you run into any problems while doing it, feel free to post a question or PM me and everyone here will do their best to help you out.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
You dont even have to take that bolt out, just unbolt the axle and roll it out from under teh truck with the tires still on even, unbolt teh leaf at the shackle end and then roll teh axle back over the leaf.
 

·
Burning Rubber
Joined
·
994 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
You dont even have to take that bolt out, just unbolt the axle and roll it out from under teh truck with the tires still on even, unbolt teh leaf at the shackle end and then roll teh axle back over the leaf.

:word:

I only did this for the one side and then stratched the leaf around the rear Disk on the left side..... it was a pain in the ass, but what can you do....
 

·
It's Jerry's World
Joined
·
3,573 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
You dont even have to take that bolt out, just unbolt the axle and roll it out from under teh truck with the tires still on even, unbolt teh leaf at the shackle end and then roll teh axle back over the leaf.
Werd thats the easiest way to do it.

When dropping my truck i took off the bed, cuz it made it soo much easier to cut the notch, especially since it was like my second time witht he sawzall.

as far as horror stories, there are none, a 4/6 is really easy and its not like its undriveably low:read:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
If I were to do it again, I would drop the gas tank, and use a lift instead of jacks and jack stands. It would of made life sooo much easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
4/6 using conrol arms/flip kit is by far the easiest drop. Beats a 2/4 shackle hanger drop. Buy a step bit to drill the c-notch holes. Takes no time with that. And dont be afraid to use the sawzall. It's your bes friend
 

·
Burning Rubber
Joined
·
994 Posts
Beyond Static said:
4/6 using conrol arms/flip kit is by far the easiest drop. Beats a 2/4 shackle hanger drop. Buy a step bit to drill the c-notch holes. Takes no time with that. And dont be afraid to use the sawzall. It's your bes friend
I think the 3/6 is easier than the 4/6..... there are no problems with installing just a drop coil.... one balljoint off, stock coils out, new on in, put it back together....no need for removing the whole arm
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
I think the 3/6 is easier than the 4/6..... there are no problems with installing just a drop coil.... one balljoint off, stock coils out, new on in, put it back together....no need for removing the whole arm
Only two bolts hold the LCA in after the balljoint is broken. It takes like 5 minutes to switch them out :read:
 

·
patio furniture breaker
Joined
·
563 Posts
DemoN said:
if you're busting the ball joint to change coils, you're doing it the hard way. just pull the back two bolts and drop the coil.
you can do that? how do you keep the sping from poping out? i thought thats why you had to break the balljoint loose so you could lower the LCA with a jack to relase the spring?

so, you can just unbolt the two bolts from the back of the LCA? and get a spring compressor, i guess?
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
or just let the bitch pop, thats what I do. Just watch you fingers, its really not that bad once the front end is up.
 

·
a.k.a. turbodan
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
DemoN said:
here's a draw back to a 4/6 :LOL:

several months ago i was rolling to Seguin late at night. Rolling down the highway..minding my own...i barely have time to even notice a fuggin dead dog in the middle of the highway! BAM! ran right over the fuggin carcass. dam thing got stuck under my truck and i railed his dumbass for 100 yards or so until i could get to a Exxon. i final backed off it and i dam near caught him on fire (figured it got jammed up against the exhaust y-pipe). Fuggin corpse was smoking and smelling like some backwoods beef jerky. Didn't do any damage, but it did stink! but it was a pain in the ass cleaning all the crap out of my rollpan...old fido came apart and was throwing chunks all over the underside of my truck.
same here but it was a skunk on news years eve, the first night i drove my truck with the 4/6 and 20's, go figure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
DemoN said:
here's a draw back to a 4/6 :LOL:

several months ago i was rolling to Seguin late at night. Rolling down the highway..minding my own...i barely have time to even notice a fuggin dead dog in the middle of the highway! BAM! ran right over the fuggin carcass. dam thing got stuck under my truck and i railed his dumbass for 100 yards or so until i could get to a Exxon. i final backed off it and i dam near caught him on fire (figured it got jammed up against the exhaust y-pipe). Fuggin corpse was smoking and smelling like some backwoods beef jerky. Didn't do any damage, but it did stink! but it was a pain in the ass cleaning all the crap out of my rollpan...old fido came apart and was throwing chunks all over the underside of my truck.
Fuckin' dogs! They'll mess some stuff up. :read:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top