GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 gmc has 208,000 km my fiancé drives it everyday until she gets her dodge back. The truck has fresh 285 toyo at's on it. The truck pulls a 6x12' utilty it'll trailer loaded with equipment and tools in the bed, the load isn't that mich weight but I've noticed with towing the trailer it can be under powered at times. What's my best bet to give this truck some more snap ? I've been reading tons of info on this site and pt.net but can't really find much info for people that use there truck everyday as a work truck.

I've thought of the usual stuff, cam, converter, black bear tune, and exhaust. But don't know exactly what to buy for my needs. Thanks a lot for the help.

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about it, but the truck runs way to good . I don't really want to go through the hassle of that. I've also thought about doing a Cxracing turbo ?

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah I wouldn't want to spend $1200 on a motor plus everything else that it would cost to get it put in. I just want some decent mods to wake this truck up a bit, I'm sure I would be happy with a tune and a exhaust for now but not sure what exhaust to go with ? Also not sure if it's smart to do a cam and converter on this truck since it does get worked.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Find a local exhaust shop and have them fab a cat back exhaust with the muffler of your choosing. Long tube headers are a good option if you have the cash. Pacesetter has a decent price with the Y pipe. Do a K&N drop in filter for the hell of it. Get a black bear tune. This is a solid start and will wake up the truck. As for gears they are an investment but it makes for a really strong puller. Your tire comes close to a 33 so I would go for 4.30 or 4.56. Being that my suburban is heavy I went 4.88 with my 285 tires.

4.30 @ 55/65 mph = 1,750/2,070 rpms
4.56 @ 55/65 mph = 1,860/2,190 rpms
4.88 @ 55/65 mph = 1,990/2,350 rpms

As for a stall, if you pull it's good to go lowish. 2,600 is what I went with specked from B&M. Staying smallish keeps the trans temps low with traffic on hills.

· Registered
1,090 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Find a local exhaust shop and have them fab a cat back exhaust with the muffler of your choosing. Long tube headers are a good option if you have the cash. Pacesetter has a decent price with the Y pipe. Do a K&N drop in filter for the hell of it. Get a black bear tune. This is a solid start and will wake up the truck. As for gears they are an investment but it makes for a really strong puller. Your tire comes close to a 33 so I would go for 4.30 or 4.56. Being that my suburban is heavy I went 4.88 with my 285 tires.

4.30 @ 55/65 mph = 1,750/2,070 rpms
4.56 @ 55/65 mph = 1,860/2,190 rpms
4.88 @ 55/65 mph = 1,990/2,350 rpms

As for a stall, if you pull it's good to go lowish. 2,600 is what I went with specked from B&M. Staying smallish keeps the trans temps low with traffic on hills.
Exactly what he said. I 2nd the long tubes and gears. Make pulling a lot more pleasant. Especially the gears it'll help that 4.8 pull on the low end and will pull through the gears a little quicker.There's no replacement for displacment. My 30,000 mile lq9 ran me 1800$

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for all the info guys, one thing I did notice with the truck when pulling, is that after going up a hill at about 2200 rpm when we get on the flats the truck drops down to about 1300 rpm. I don't think my tow haul works on the truck at all. I'm sure efi live can fix that.

That turbo kit does look good, I looked at that kit before. Is there any muffler that you guys recommend ? I have a 5" Mbrp full exhaust on my dmax, I was thinking maybe do Mbrp since the factory is 2 hours north of me.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
That seems normal for tow haul. Ideally the Corsa Sport is the best exhaust system cause it is a very drone free set up yet loud at the same time. A few people I know said the MBRP had a drone at 2,200 ish rpms but these were in Tahoes. Would probably be fine in a pickup. They do have a good price.

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll look into the corsa also. And that low of rpm is normal eh ? I guess I'm just to use to my dmax lol. I appreacite all the help. Is there a cam you would recommend that isn't to lopey if I go that route.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
A populuar one I know for that engine is the Comp Cams xr265hr. Not to big 212/218 duration with a 114 LSA. Winter starts wouldnt be an issue and it would make good power to 6k rpms. With that LSA it would work well with the turbo. Someone on the Performance Truck forum ran that can on a 5.3 and got 298 HP and 316lbs at the wheels. Only mod was the cam.

· Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Personally I'd set a budget if I were you and go from there because although the lq9 is a sweet motor, it does cost a pretty penny. Even the lq4 would set you back atleast $1200+.
Got my LQ4 for free :insane2: If you play your cards right, you can do the same.

With your high mileage and for the $, I'd swap in an lq4 or lq9 6.0l.
Do this + tune for towing

I'll look into the corsa also. And that low of rpm is normal eh ? I guess I'm just to use to my dmax lol. I appreacite all the help. Is there a cam you would recommend that isn't to lopey if I go that route.
IF you're doing a cam swap, why not just swap a 6.0 in? It's about the same cost.

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A populuar one I know for that engine is the Comp Cams xr265hr. Not to big 212/218 duration with a 114 LSA. Winter starts wouldnt be an issue and it would make good power to 6k rpms. With that LSA it would work well with the turbo. Someone on the Performance Truck forum ran that can on a 5.3 and got 298 HP and 316lbs at the wheels. Only mod was the cam.
I'll look that cam up, that's pretty damn good just with the cam. I've been doing a lot of reading on install doesn't seem to bad, I know my dad an I can do it.

IF you're doing a cam swap, why not just swap a 6.0 in? It's about the same cost.
I'm just not sure I want to swap another motor, I've read you can get decent power out of these 4.8s. Arnt the 6.0Ls terrible on fuel.

· Premium Member
2,551 Posts
I'll look that cam up, that's pretty damn good just with the cam. I've been doing a lot of reading on install doesn't seem to bad, I know my dad an I can do it.

I'm just not sure I want to swap another motor, I've read you can get decent power out of these 4.8s. Arnt the 6.0Ls terrible on fuel.
Theyre all terrible on fuel when towing. But a cammed/tuned 6.0 can do decent on fuel if you dont drive like me haha.

· Registered
298 Posts
My 6.0 gets 1 mpg better than my 5.3 and about 2 mpg towing of course I'm not the easiest on take offs either. I'm assming the better low end of the 6.0 helps out by not requiring as much throttle.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Build your 4.8. Enjoy the truck. Eventually sell it one day and buy a 3/4 ton. It's what i wish i had done before i got over involved in my 1/2 ton.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.