GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03' Sierra 4.8 with 6 inch lift. I just put 20x10 inch wheels with 33 Toyo M/T and can really feel the added weight of the wheels and tires. What are some mods to help get back some power?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The 4.8 has to rev so you need gears. I'd go 4.56's. After that a tune. You'll have more power then than you had before the lift. I had a 4.8 a few years ago although it was a street truck I had it in the upper 14s in the 1/4. Gears intake exhause and a tune /thread

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
gears, tune, and so on. Post pics too

·
Boss
83 Posts
I used to have a 4.8, and after I lifted it I put a superchips to adjust for tire size and that was pretty worthless. Best bang for your buck will be gears. IMO. But as for the midrange chug, which I've had some trouble with too, it seems that a good tune is most helpful in helping your engine shift faster and keeping RPM's up after shifts

·
Boss
83 Posts
The 4.8 has to rev so you need gears. I'd go 4.56's. After that a tune. You'll have more power then than you had before the lift. I had a 4.8 a few years ago although it was a street truck I had it in the upper 14s in the 1/4. Gears intake exhause and a tune /thread
I think 4.56 would be sick, but 4.10's will do the trick as well as not completely destroy your mpg :imo

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
4.56's and a tune; then maybe some mid-length or tri-y headers with a free-flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where can I buy gears at? What would my mpg be with 4.10s vs 4.56s? I have a dynomax muffler it helped me quite abit in low end I don't have pipes on it if I put just a couple feet of straight pipes will I notice a difference? It's a dual output. I'm pretty motivated to mod my truck a 4.0 ford ranger beat me pretty bad on the highway.
:mad:

Thanks

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
Where can I buy gears at? What would my mpg be with 4.10s vs 4.56s? I have a dynomax muffler it helped me quite abit in low end I don't have pipes on it if I put just a couple feet of straight pipes will I notice a difference? It's a dual output. I'm pretty motivated to mod my truck a 4.0 ford ranger beat me pretty bad on the highway.
:mad:

Thanks
yeah dude get 4.56s. It would be badass with 33s. 4.10s wouldnt be bad but if you want extra power go with 4.56s. A ranger beat you? lol thats sad dude. You better start modding as fast as possible before a old chevy van takes u:crazy:

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
Haha I know. Would chips make a difference? Or should I just get the tune?
Go with the tune. Its much much better than a heldhand programmer. My friend has a 00 Silverado 5.3L ext cab long bed with long travel suspension, 35"bfgs, 4.56 gears, intake,exhaust, and a hypertech programmer, and my truck weighs more than his, and he stands no chance agaisnt mine. You wont be dissapointed with a custom tune man.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a 09 gmc sierra 1500 4.8l. i have a 12" lift on 39.5 inch tires. i put some 5.13 gears a air intake and a throttle body spacer and i can roast ma tiires on dry pavement.

i will put a superchip also, but they havent come out with my year model yet.

and the best place to get gears is Cajun Off Road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts