GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im either going to drop another engine in my truck or sell itand buy another one with a bigger engine. my only question is WHAT SIZE!?!? ya see we have a local drag track somwhere around here so which would be better for a little competition (and the occasional showboating)? im not planin on putin 33's on it or anything .. just some 22 inch rims and maybe lower it a little then when i get enough money put a supercharger and borla duals on it.... sorry i have major a.d.d anywhoo thanks

*edit* by the way what all is involved in dropping a motor yourself?? IE... tools needed ,parts, time, manpower etc... can it be done in a drive way? cuz everyone i know says i couldnt do i by myself but yall seem to think a person can

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
if you plan on building something for the street/strip I'd recommend a cammed 6.0 of some sort...

what kind of truck is it going into?

and where in Tx are you?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would do a 6.0 but dont those use a heck of alota gas and arent they also heavy?

a 2000 sierra 1500 standard cab shortbox

N. houston

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Its the same motor pretty much... it wont use much more gas if its tuned correctly and driven normally. Especially in a reg cab truck. It as simple as pulling your motor and dropping the LQ4/9... assuming you already have a V8 truck.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
still shouldnt be that bad... change the motor mounts and PCM... everything else will bolt up and work. just make sure you get a complete motor from the TB to the oil pan. you'll have to buy/build some sort of intake system also.

-what trans is behind it??

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Then go ahead now and plan for a 4L80E conversion when you do the bigger motor. I have a fully built to the hilt 4L65E behind my 5.3 with cam/nitrous/big stall... but ask around on here and find out how many problems I've had with transmissions.... do yourself a favor and upgrade first... the whole swap, motor, PCM, trans, swap kit, and all should be easily had for about 4K I'd say. Not "cheap" by any means, but this will get you started off right.

Then comes the rear end build... LOL, its a vicious cycle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha... well i got a guy on here who said hed swap my 4.3 for a carb'd 5.3 for ithink 18 0r 2800 so ill probly just go with that unless fuel injection isnt TOO much more

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
fuel injection will be much more efficient IMO... its really apples and oranges. No doubt though, if you went with a carb'd 5.3, you;d have something different for sure ;)

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
the fuel injection will come with the motor you buy most likely... if not, you can piece together a stock system for a couple hundred bux I'd say... make sure you get a good fuel pump for it though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so anyway back to my original post... now im just curious 4.8 vs 5.3 w/ slight modding(exhaust intake maybe a supercharger) which is better?

cuz i found a nice truck w/ a 4.8l V8 and 86000 miles /MP3 stereo with MTX and JBL amps 2 12inch MTX subwoofers with custom build box
its just like mine cept yellow and bigger engine (YESS i like the yellow)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
5.3 for sure. The 5.3 and 4.8 are the same bore, but the 5.3 has a longer stroke, so it will make more torque and will respond better to any other mods you have planned for it.

Keep in mind though that 5.3 motors are a dime a dozen. You could buy your 4.8 truck if you like it, and find a complete running 5.3 for 500-700 and swap it in.

·
lolo driver
161 Posts
:word:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
How fast do you realistically want to go?

Answer that before anything else. :read:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
How fast do you realistically want to go?

Answer that before anything else. :read:
I agree, but even so, I wouldn't even think about using a 4.8 with performance in mind. That's just me though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fast enough to beat my bestfreinds souped up 4.6 v8 ford f150... and what ever other truck wants to race i mean i dont always wana win but fast enough to put up a good challenge

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts