GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
adopt children not styles
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a 5.3 liter Silverado right now but the only truck I have found close to where I live has a 4.8 in it. I really want the 5.3 for the extra 15 horsepower, but I may have to settle for a 4.8. Is there a noticable difference in power and overall performance? What do you guys think I should do, wait until I find a truck with the 5.3 or go ahead and buy the truck with the 4.8?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Wait for the 5.3, you will want it in the long run. It get more power over the 4.8 the more you mod it.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Wait for the 5.3l. You will be happier in the end if you wait. I have both and the 5.3 is better.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The difference is the stroke basically, they have the same bore. Personally, I have a 4.8. Most of the time it's suficient, gets a little winded towing. It's kinda like in the old trucks the 305 vs. 350. I'll say for sure the 4.8 is better than the 350. I raced a 5.3 and there was hardly any difference. He won, but not by much. If I were you I would attempt to find one, if nothing else to drive it so you can benchmark for yourself.

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I was pretty certain I was going to wait for the 5.3, I just needed a little reassurance :grin: :gmfs:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would wait for the 5.3, I have one myself and I love driving it. Everything is stock as of now but it still has that power that I love. The Flowmaster dual turndowns sound awesome too. :head3:

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
silverado_dude said:
I would wait for the 5.3, I have one myself and I love driving it. Everything is stock as of now but it still has that power that I love. The Flowmaster dual turndowns sound awesome too. :head3:
What series flowmasters are you running? One of the first things I plan on doing when I get my truck is putting dual turndown flows on it, how does the exhaust sound, loud/deep/mellow?

·
Registered
658 Posts
i love my 5.3.....

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, my dad has a 5.3 in his Yukon XL, and even with the 33 inch tires on there you can definitely feel the power! I love driving it! I can only imagine how much faster a lowered regular cab would be :burnout:

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brock said:
its just extrta 15 hp... but if its the same price go for it..
Yea, I'm finding mostly that they around the same price. I think KBB prices trucks with the 5.3 only about 200 dollars more than trucks with the 4.8, which is a price im willing to pay.

D

·
0 Posts
I've had a '00 with a 5.3, and now an '03 with a 4.8
The only thing I feel is the difference in the torque, torque is what you need to move our heavy trucks, not horsepower. I've raced a '01 5.3 in my 4.8 and hung pretty good with them till around 75-80mph before they start pulling on me. Both his and mine were single cab stepside trucks, only difference was his had an exhuast and intake and I was bone stock. Guess my 3:73 gear helped me out. I got a good price on the truck with a 4.8 so I went for it, didnt feel like searching for a stepside with a 5.3 and paying more.
In all actuality fast is fast no matter what engine you opt for. If you are running a low 13, high 12, low 12, whatever the case, fast is fast. Everyone always is skeptical of the 4.8's, but how great would it be to whip lets say a Lightning with both a larger cubic inch motor and a blower with a "little" 4.8? :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
I havent really raced anyone lately, all my engine mods are the K&N, the "Whifflebat Home Depot Air Induction", and the exhaust which will be changed sooner or later.

·
Registered
788 Posts
ryguy said:
What series flowmasters are you running? One of the first things I plan on doing when I get my truck is putting dual turndown flows on it, how does the exhaust sound, loud/deep/mellow?

I am running the 40 series i believe. They have a deep rumble, which I like. :burnout:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Stu Meat said:
I havent really raced anyone lately, all my engine mods are the K&N, the "Whifflebat Home Depot Air Induction", and the exhaust which will be changed sooner or later.

Correction...

Whifflebat Home Depot Air InductionTM

This is a trademark of Whifflebat. All rights reserved. Copyright 2003

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
hahahaha his intake is awsome. Everytime I pop his hood I crack up. Cheap and effective. It may not be as great as a UPD or something, but its better than stock and damn near free.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts