GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before I get blasted for asking this question, I have done some research on this website but I keep seeing pretty much the same answer. But my situation is a bit different than some others. I have an '05 Yukon with the 4.8l engine. I am looking to put a supercharger in it and was simply wondering if this is a worthwhile investment. I am not looking to race on weekends. I am not looking for exorbitant amounts of power. I do some towing with my bike and even when I'm not towing, the engine lugs a lot on semi steep inclines. I just want a good power band and to wake this engine up a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Now before I get blasted for asking this question, I have done some research on this website but I keep seeing pretty much the same answer. But my situation is a bit different than some others. I have an '05 Yukon with the 4.8l engine. I am looking to put a supercharger in it and was simply wondering if this is a worthwhile investment. I am not looking to race on weekends. I am not looking for exorbitant amounts of power. I do some towing with my bike and even when I'm not towing, the engine lugs a lot on semi steep inclines. I just want a good power band and to wake this engine up a bit. Thanks.
Yes it would be worth it, but if you aren't looking to make gobs of power, it would be much more worthwhile to swap to a 6.0 engine and some bolt ons. You would make similar power, but for cheaper and the 6.0 would be much better suited for your 5700 pound SUV.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Yes it would be worth it, but if you aren't looking to make gobs of power, it would be much more worthwhile to swap to a 6.0 engine and some bolt ons. You would make similar power, but for cheaper and the 6.0 would be much better suited for your 5700 pound SUV.
:hmm: cammed 6.0 swap with bolt ons and a S/C :evil:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Biloxi, MS. Is anyone from this area or know of a reputable shop close by to get this work done? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I'm in Biloxi, MS. Is anyone from this area or know of a reputable shop close by to get this work done? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Why not do it yourself? There are plenty of how-to's for each project. I've never understood paying someone to customize something on your truck you can do yourself. It kind of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of us don't have the same technical know-how as others. I install fiber-optic systems for computer networks. Can you do the same thing? That is not a slam. Just using an example.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Some of us don't have the same technical know-how as others. I install fiber-optic systems for computer networks. Can you do the same thing? That is not a slam. Just using an example.
I haven't gone to school to learn how to work with fiber-optic systems.

I'm no automechanic. 5 years ago, I didn't even know how to change my own oil.

The point is that it's an extremely easy swap that anyone with common sense can do. There are pictures, guides and part numbers to make it as easy as possible.

Most importantly, how are you ever going to learn if you just pay someone to do it?

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Do you know what type of supercharger you are considering?

From there you can contact the manufacturer for dealers and shops in the area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Touche'. But some things I would like to leave up to the experts. Years ago I paid someone to install a radio in my car. I saw how it was done and was quite upset that I paid for something I could do myself. So I do clearly see your point. However, this is a bit different than a radio and I just want to get it done right. But thanks for your input.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts

Most importantly, how are you ever going to learn if you just pay someone to do it?
I agree to a point. However, you do not want to get in over your head on a project. If you feel it is beyond your capability, you should let someone else either assist/guide you through it or worse case, have them do it.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I agree to a point. However, you do not want to get in over your head on a project. If you feel it is beyond your capability, you should let someone else either assist/guide you through it or worse case, have them do it.
Exactly! That what I did when I installed my first camshaft. Learning to do new things is fun!

·
Registered
102 Posts
regearing and a tune would be the best bet a supercharger is morer power than you probably need.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
if you can afford to have the truck down for awhile and are willing to learn a bit, Mark is right doing it yourself is the way to go. Its true some people straight up cannot get technical/mechanical stuff, but if you work with fiber optics I think you might have a good enough foot in the door to learn the ropes. I've yet to do an engine swap myself, but I'm totally confident I can handle it after a lot of research on the net.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you can afford to have the truck down for awhile and are willing to learn a bit, Mark is right doing it yourself is the way to go. Its true some people straight up cannot get technical/mechanical stuff, but if you work with fiber optics I think you might have a good enough foot in the door to learn the ropes. I've yet to do an engine swap myself, but I'm totally confident I can handle it after a lot of research on the net.
The key point is " I can't afford to have my vehicle down for a while." I do leave on weekly trips for work and wanted to have the work done while I was away. I know this opens a new can of worms, meaning will the guys in the shop do a good job without me there to watch them. That's why I was trying to find a reputable shop to take it to.

Side note. I have a chopper. It has gobs and gobs of power. But I'm not always trying to go 120 mph. But when I want the power it's there. I feel the same way about my suv.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just got my 4.8 magna charged ,i'm smillin from ear to ear .great upgrade but beware of trans. play too much could go boom.good luck !:gitrdone:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts