GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 channel amp and was wondering if I can combine the 2 positives, and 2 negatives from the back to speakers hooking them to the cooresponding pos and neg terminals for the back 2 channels and doing the same with the fronts to the other two channels?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
sure, if you want to fry the amp. Bridging is normally like the left + and right -. One issue your going to run into is the ohm load. Bridging a 4 channel would leave you with only 2 channels able to do 4 ohms and having 2 speakers per side like that would be 2ohm, so too low. Leave it as LF, RF, LR, and RR

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure, if you want to fry the amp. Bridging is normally like the left + and right -. One issue your going to run into is the ohm load. Bridging a 4 channel would leave you with only 2 channels able to do 4 ohms and having 2 speakers per side like that would be 2ohm, so too low. Leave it as LF, RF, LR, and RR

Understood and thanks for the response. I'll be leaving it alone. Just curious though, hypothetically speaking, if I had 2 ohm speakers, and a 2 ohm stable amp, could I wire it up the way I described? Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It would be an downgrade IMO.

4 channel amps are just as much about being clean as they are about putting out the power. This would sacrifice so much cleanliness that whatever power gains would be negated.

Edit

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
It would be an downgrade IMO.

4 channels are just as much about being clean as they are about putting out the power. This would sacrifice so much cleanliness that whatever power gains would be negated.
by bridging you can increase the distortion 2-8x, so no go
4 channel in my opinion. Always sounds better IMO
you probably mean that class AB amps sound better, which most people think that they do and Id agree

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe he agrees that AB 4 channel amps sound better unless bridged. Which if you look at any reputable brand, they rate their amps with RMS and tell you the THD at each of its rated Ohms. Higher the distortion the werse off it sounds.

Stupposedly the human ear can't pick up THD under 1% but somehow I doubt that or home stereo companies wouldn't be competing for the lowest THD. I think it makes a huge difference at home, maybe not so much in a vehicle with road noise et al.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts