GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question. Should I get a 4 ohm sub or a 2 ohm sub? I'm just wanting to get something basic for my truck to make my stereo sound better.

If a sub is 500W max...how big of an amp do I need?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
ohms depends on the amp, not the sub and if its a 500w max then a 500 max amp is preferred

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
a 2 ohm sub will be wired to the amp at a 4ohm or 1 ohm load. the 4 ohm sub will be wired to 2ohm on the amp. you will want an amp that does 500 rms at whatever ohm applies to which sub you buy.

whats your price range for the amp?

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price range for the amp? $100 or so.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Don't buy someone else's trash. Every Bazooka amp I've ever seen was trash. The sub looks like a 10" W0 which can be had for well under $100.

If you're on a budget, check ebay, but buy cheap quality stuff, not cheap shit.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any suggestions on cheap, quality stuff?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yea that whole setup is shit. If you don't want to build a box, find a decent prefab that will fit under your seat. Get that eclipse sub then search eBay for a reputable brand amp and you'll be happy.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to a car audio place and lunch today and they had an under the seat box that fit perfect under my rear seat.

Do I need a hi/lo rca converter since I'll be using the stock deck?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Any suggestions on cheap, quality stuff?
About as low as I would go is Audiobahns A8002T. They may have a newer model number, but it can be had for a little over $100. I ran in in my truck when I first turned 16 and it didn't sound horrible.

I'm not quite up to date these days, but Kicker's 600 rms mono channel amp impressed me. Jl Audio amps are overpriced, but they put out the same wattage at any load so you don't have to worry about choosing an amp around your sub.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I went to a car audio place and lunch today and they had an under the seat box that fit perfect under my rear seat.

Do I need a hi/lo rca converter since I'll be using the stock deck?

Yea get the converter should be under 20 bucks. i used one from walmart awhile back worked perfectly had no problems.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the quick responses fellas. I'm sure I'll be hitting ya'll back up soon. I just pm'd Lifted07Sierra about the Eclipse sub he's selling.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Alpine MRP-M500 FTW!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts