GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1996 chevy 1500 truck that is tired and my sister has this 1999 3/4 suburban that has been totaled since 2001. it only has 80,000 miles on it. i want to take the motor and put it in my truck. if i pull all the wiring harness and computer and use it would it work or has anyone did this. i want to thank since i have access to everything that it is duable. i would appreate anyones input. thanks

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
i have a 1996 chevy 1500 truck that is tired and my sister has this 1999 3/4 suburban that has been totaled since 2001. it only has 80,000 miles on it. i want to take the motor and put it in my truck. if i pull all the wiring harness and computer and use it would it work or has anyone did this. i want to thank since i have access to everything that it is duable. i would appreate anyones input. thanks
would need to pull the trans as well. I wouldnt put the 454 in front of your 60e.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is one of the problems i thank that i am going to run into, i can get a 4L80 but the suburban was a 4x4. when i pulled the enging and trans. their was several wires going to the transfer case. i am startig to think that i bit off more than i can handel. and for all you first time 454 pullers like me, pack a lunch that pull will make you appreate the small block. anyway i am still looking for input if anyone has knowledge of this. thanks

G

·
Use the advanced search to find threads started by bggrnchvy and Nicholas. Both of them have put 80e's in trucks that were equipped with half-ton gear.

·
Maniac
692 Posts
If you have the parts truck, just take everything out of it that was attached to the engine/trans/transfer case. Use the crossmembers if you can, modify them to fit your frame. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Wait....are you putting this in a truck that is 2wd, and is staying 2wd? That won't make it that much harder, but it will probably be a little annoying.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya my truck is a 2 wheel drive. i keep going over pro's and con's for this. i was gun ho untill i realized it was a 4x4. i even drove that suv when my sister first got it and never even gave 4x4 a thought. and also this does not matter but it seems that according to what i have found on the net they say that this is not a true vortec 454 what ever that means. and i made another discovery witch i do not know if it is good or would not even matter, either way but her suv was a 1997 and she bought it in 1999. (and it was stolen and totaled in 2000). and i did make sure it ran before i pulled it). it has been in my mom's back yard ever since. i never gave this suv any thought since i mostly a old school person (slacker) this is the first ride that i have ever owned with any sort of electronic and computer out side of HEI (call me deprived) and never liked 305 motors ( always SB 400's and 454's) but the vottec 305 has really inpressed me. thats what makes me want to try this motor in my truck. i still would like to find someone who has done this so that i now what to look forward to. thanks for eveyones input.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
IDK if it'll be required for the swap, but even if not, you should strongly consider some poly BBC engine mounts.

And a bigger, rat-sized, radiator would be a good idea, too.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Ive helped do a TH400 and 468 in a 89 but that was all carb and no electronics

To do this swap what you would need is the engine tranny and all wiring and pcm. As someone else mentioned you would also need the crossmembers in order to modify them.

As far as the tranny you can convert it to a 2wd tranny but thats going to be more cash, or just go get one. It all depends on how much experience you have at this sort of thing. Personally i think it would be an easy thing to do but you also have to add in the cost of everything as well. One thing to keep in mind though, those 96 454's are the ones to have. They seem to run far better than even the 97 454 which is what i have. From what ive heard that first year of vortec 454's had some different tuning and a different cam. Then in 97 they changed it up for EPA standards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts