GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, future game plan for my truck (the 94) is for a built 6.0 swap, turbo'd if I can pull it all together from the get go or perhaps later down the road. Truck is a 1/2 ton obviously, doubtful it will ever see bigger than 40"s at the most. Still have the 10 bolt but that will be getting swapped for a 14 soon hopefully.

I have been scouting around for a 6.0/4l80e combo, but lately I have been thinking maybe just stick with a very well built 4l60e? The 80e doesnt have quite as deep a first gear which is no good really for tires that big, plus the overdrive is not quite as high IIRC also, both downsides. there is also the issue of the swap and making everything happy and working together.

60e's can be safely built to handle what? 500-600 flywheel hp? If i could find a good deal on a 6.0/80e combo then i would snatch it, but otherwise a stand alone 6.0 is easier to come by and cheaper.

what do ya'll think, my goal, if i can get all the $$ together, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 400hp + and 450 ft lbs + to the rear wheels, just kind of a rough goal though i need to look into the possibilities a lot closer.

thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok, future game plan for my truck (the 94) is for a built 6.0 swap, turbo'd if I can pull it all together from the get go or perhaps later down the road. Truck is a 1/2 ton obviously, doubtful it will ever see bigger than 40"s at the most. Still have the 10 bolt but that will be getting swapped for a 14 soon hopefully.

I have been scouting around for a 6.0/4l80e combo, but lately I have been thinking maybe just stick with a very well built 4l60e? The 80e doesnt have quite as deep a first gear which is no good really for tires that big, plus the overdrive is not quite as high IIRC also, both downsides. there is also the issue of the swap and making everything happy and working together.

60e's can be safely built to handle what? 500-600 flywheel hp? If i could find a good deal on a 6.0/80e combo then i would snatch it, but otherwise a stand alone 6.0 is easier to come by and cheaper.

what do ya'll think, my goal, if i can get all the $$ together, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 400hp + and 450 ft lbs + to the rear wheels, just kind of a rough goal though i need to look into the possibilities a lot closer.

thanks
As much as I hate the 60E's, I think I would get one in your situation. An 80e is not for everyone, thats for sure. Driving habits play a role into he lifespan of a 60e as well.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear you. i never mash on the gas, dont burnout, dont drive hard, basically i baby the shit out of my truck. the only thing i do do that is rough on the trans is tow, usually a 20' ski boat or a 21' wakeboard boat, but not up any real steep hills longer than 200-300'.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why not get a wide ratio 80E?

Torque kills parts, not horsepower. Also, you'll have MASSIVE amounts of rotational mass to get the vehicle moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts