GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not planning on doing it now, but does anyone know if a 4l80e will bolt up to be 5.3? When this tranny goes I would like to put some more beef in.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i believe it should. it wouldnt make any sense for them not to be the same bolt pattern. they bolt to the 6.0 and the 5.3 is the same block.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Would Allen be able to set my computer up to shift right and shit?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Would Allen be able to set my computer up to shift right and shit?
he has told me that when the LS1 gets swapped in, that he can program for that. so, i dont see why he couldnt reprogram for the new tranny....its all GM, i bet he has a program for em all.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
I don't know for sure if the NBS trans wiring is different than the OBS BUT a 4l80e cannot drop in an OBS w/o harness mods. The connectors and wiring are not the same between the 2 trannies BUT the trans will bolt up....same pattern. I would think you need to do some wiring mods to get it working right or go with a stand alone trans computer.

Cameron

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
you would have to get a new input shaft and some other stuff.... i cant remember what all... but the input shaft is one of the main things.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The LQ4 6L is in the HD trucks, it has a 4L80/5E behind it, the LQ9 is in the caddy and SS trucks, they have a 4L60/5E in them. So, the 4L80E will bolt up just fine, however the PCM will require a flash and program, and you'll need a small harness for the trans. Contact speartech for the harness.

good luck,

allen

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a harness is no big deal. You would be able to flash and program the PCM right?

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
already got the program =)

When time comes illhave to get the harness, anything else I should know about? Doesnt it have the 32 spline output shaft on the 4x4 version?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
already got the program =)

When time comes illhave to get the harness, anything else I should know about? Doesnt it have the 32 spline output shaft on the 4x4 version?

You will need to change the yolk (sp?) on the trans your 4L60-E yolk is smaller. Hmmmm 4x4 thats a good question, you have the transfer case to deal with.

I know a user on ls1tech that did the 80 conversion on his 4x4.....parish8 is his user name. I am not sure if he is a member here I will contact him about your set up.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! Thast super usefull and I actually have parish8's phone # somewhere so I can call to get more info. The t-case issue wouldnt be a problem for me because I would run a custom 203/205 doubler or something. Also the shifting wouldnt be a problem because I wont have the actuator on the front diff, ill have a dana 60. Hopefully this wont be an issue for awhile but its nice to know hwo to do it. I just pray my 60 lasts me for at least to 100k.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yikes? That not very much? The reason im worried about it is because I am VERY hard on it, hard wheeling with big tires. I have 50k now and no problems...

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
I would personally go with an Nv4500 (or zf 6 speed or nv5600, but you would need another bellhousing), but then again I am a standard tranny freak. The 4l80 is a great transmission for an auto, and will bolt right up.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it would be a huge undertaking to swap in a manual, I love them as well but wouldnt even know where to start. Plus I have a center console I like alot :grin:

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
This is a post from "James B." on another forum....should be quite helpfull....

There are some considerations:

1. The 4L80-E is definately longer. You will need to have your driveshaft shortend unless you had a tall lift.

2. The mounting pad sits further back and higher than the 4L60-E. Changes to your crossmemeber are in order.

3. The 4L80-E has an additional sensor in the front so the computer knows what the trans input speed is in addition to the output speed. The hardness also has a few pinout differences from the 4L60-E. A harness adapter and programming will both be required.

4. The transmission you obtain must be a 97 and up model. This is the newer case design and it has the correct bosses on the side for mounting the sector cables and electronics.

5. The new design case has a return line input located at the rear of the case instead of up front like the previous design. Your cooler lines won't work unless you buy an adapter for the rear input. This is Sonnax part #34918-01K

6. The 4L80-E is avaliable with either a fixed yoke or a slip yoke on the output shaft. (I'm assuming you are 2WD.) If you buy a trans with a fixed yoke you will have the choice of replacing your driveshaft with a splined one (which probably needs to be longer than what's practical) or you will need to pop the tailshaft housing off, remove the o-ring, and purchase a slipyoke.

7. 4L80-E yoke is 1350, not 3R. The best way to handle this is to chop the 3R end of your driveshaft off and refit it with a Spicer 1350 yokoe and joint. Use a SOLID joint - stronger than the geasable ones.

8. There are large mounting tabs on sides of the 4L80-E bell. These may interfere with your exhaust. May need to hack 'em off. That is okay.

9. You will need a dust cover for the lower bell housing/toqrue converted.

10. These are 3/4 and 1-ton transmissions - translation: any stock type converter you get with it is going to be very low stalling compared to what you're used to. First gear is 2.48 vs. the 60's 3.06, so you should budget in doing a converter swap as well.

11. The dipstick is not the same as a 4L60-E. Budget that in.

12. The 4L80-E is also available in a "HD" version. This version has a ball-bearing tailshaft housing and straight-cut gears internally. Not the best thing for quiet mannered operation, but it is a more high-endurance setup. Does a street truck of any sort *need" this really? no.

13. The flexplate spacer. I don't have details on this since I didn't have to look into it for my own 60-80 swap on an OBS truck.

How's that?

-James B.
Cameron

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
One more tidbit....

A 4L60-E is 30.75" long
A 4L80-E is 32.1875" long

That is a difference of 1. 7/16"

Cameron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts