GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard would it be to do a 4l60e to a 4l80e conversion in a 2002 silverado 1500 4WD? how much would it cost to do? will it need any custom mods or parts bolt right up?:bowtie:

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
talk to GMracer. he tells me you two are friends. from what he has told me about your truck though there is no way you should need a 4l80e. buy his transmission off him if you're worried about your 60e breaking.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
New flexplate with spacer, converter, tranny, trans crossmember, transfer case input gear, new driveshaft, new or extended tranny cooler lines, wiring adapter, new harness for 2nd VSS (the 60E only has 1), re-tune to replace tranny segment, new dipstick tube, new linkage bracket......I think that about covers it, might be a piece or two that I forgot.

Expect to spend $1200-1400 on the conversion parts. Then you got the cost of the trans and torque converter on top of that. Also - be prepared to be really pissed about your new 1st gear. Going from a 3.06 in the 4L60E to a 2.48 in the 4L80E will make your launches suck.

If you're not planning on breaking the 500 rwhp mark you'd be better off getting something like an FLT level 5 4L65E.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
if you dont want to get into a big conversion situation.... get a fully built 4L65E like the one I run... I have beat the piss out of it and no problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where did you get it? i was just wondering on the cost to tell you guys the truth i wasnt planning on doin it. but i called FLT and he said it would be $5k plus tranny and torque converter, i was just seein if this was true. i am very interested in the stage 5 65e they sell tho. is that the one your running silvermodo? i asked the guy what it could take for power and he said 500? i plan on doin a 6.0l w/ turbo or supercharger would this be good for what im doin with it?

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
where did you get it? i was just wondering on the cost to tell you guys the truth i wasnt planning on doin it. but i called FLT and he said it would be $5k plus tranny and torque converter, i was just seein if this was true. i am very interested in the stage 5 65e they sell tho. is that the one your running silvermodo? i asked the guy what it could take for power and he said 500? i plan on doin a 6.0l w/ turbo or supercharger would this be good for what im doin with it?
if you are planning on all that then an 80E or 200-4R will be your best bet.

I have broken sevral 4L60/65E's at only about 400 at the wheels...

my trans was right at $3K shipped but I didnt get a converter, with that type of price you are probably talkin all their mods plus a PI Vig converter... the best one you can pretty much get IMO

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If you're looking for a good recommendation for a 4L80E PM me...I've been very happy with mine, and it was a great price too. I did my 4L80E swap for under $4000, including tranny, conversion kit, and converter.

ya i have felt that how can i fix that i have 4.11 in the back but it launches slow
GM makes a new 1-2 gear set for the 4L80E, that gives you a 2.75 1st and a 1.75 2nd. Other than that, just a real high stall converter. Or a shot of N2O to get you out of the hole.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm...id rather do a 65e because of the budget i have. im planning on a 6.0l with a forced induction system. anybody else got ideas for me?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Honestly, the cost is going to be roughly the same as long as you're doing the work. Depends on what your power goals are. If you're wanting 500 rwhp or less, go with the 65, if you're looking for more go with the 80.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If you're a 4x4 heavy pig, don't waste your time with the 60E. You have too much weight working against you. 80E swap isn't too difficult if you can do some work yourself. A mildy built 80E (just clutches, valve body, forged fwd drum, sprag, etc) is stronger than the beefiest 60E out there...

You should be able to have one built local for sub $1700 without converter or install. The rest of the conversion stuff is straight forward.

Yes the taller first gear is :gay: and you can go with a TCI kit like me. It's ~$550 last I looked, worth it for the lower gear? To me, yes. Hell, a pull out 80E with a built valve body would hold up for a LONG time also.

Also be weary of the 10b out back, it's going to blow up. Just go right to a 9.5" SF and a good carrier.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Eric, what does it take to do the gear swap?

Nothing, just buying them and tuning the PCM. HPT has the ability, LS1-Edit did not. It's not a big deal.

I have a build list for my 80E going, it's about $1900 for all parts. Billet input, autotrac case gear, wide ratio set, etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I'm talking about the 2.75/1.75 1-2 gear set, is that what you're talking about?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'm talking about the 2.75/1.75 1-2 gear set, is that what you're talking about?

Yes, TCI makes it. Lemme get the link.

All the thing is a new planet set.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yes, TCI makes it. Lemme get the link.

All the thing is a new planet set.
I'm assuming the tranny has to come apart to install it. Do you do your own trans work? I can take care of the tune, no big deal. I was wondering about actually installing the gear set.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is there a company that sells a kit to go from a 60e to an 80e? also i was planning on an eaton lsd for the axle i have now its an 8.5 10bolt. would that be good or should i go with the 9.5 SF?!? dont know much about SF and FF no idea?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts